Monday, September 3, 2012

Our Labor Day


-
Since I still had a few dollars left from my little windfall of selling some coins, I’d promised that I’d take my wife to lunch on Labor Day. She chose the Applebee’s a few miles up the river and over in enemy territory. The thought was that it was somewhere we haven’t been much and that maybe the cooks there weren’t so much in love with their salt shakers as the ones in our town. However, even though we ordered different things, it was obvious that salt was the main course and that the other ingredients were merely there for seasoning purposes. I know better than to send things back, so we ate our meals of salt and hoped that they would fill our empty stomachs without giving us salt poisoning. I guess Applebee’s is off our limited number of places to eat on special occasions now. I don’t know if my blood pressure is up or not, but my ankles are twice as big around as they were this morning, my face is red and my hair is standing on end.

Afterward, my wife looked through a large craft supply business, but it’s not as much fun when there’s no money to be spared. I sat in the truck and tried to sleep off my salt lunch as she tried to walk off hers. We then went to Wally-World where she picked up a few things we’d forgotten yesterday and I went online to check my blog and read a few others. She was happy to bump into one of her brothers while there. (He’d spent the day working, since he had nobody to be with, and had stopped to get something for supper.) Then, we went home to pick up the pooch and go for a ride in the country.

We started off the ride by getting milkshakes for us and a cheeseburger for the dog. She got some of my milkshake, too. I’d deliberately ordered vanilla so she could have a little, since they say chocolate isn’t good for dogs. Then, we headed down the old two-lane road toward the state capitol. It was a four-hour drive when I was a kid. The four-lane has cut that in half. It was fun remembering the relatives we used to visit along that road in our youth and recall our traveling companions of the time. It was also a little sad, since most of those folks are gone now, either dead, moved away or emotionally distant.

At the first tall hill (either the tallest or second tallest in the county), just about the county line, we bailed off the main road and took a long and winding road out a ridge and into a valley. I used to drive that road when I delivered feed for Red Rose 35 years ago or so. There are more houses now than there used to be. The neat old two-story log cabin is gone, though, replaced by a modern one-story home. The little place where the little old lady had me carry the feed into the chicken house is still there, though the old folks have probably been dead for 20 years. An excited hen once landed on my head there, but didn’t care for a roost that moved, so quickly left. Luckily, she didn’t leave anything in my hair to remember her by.

By the time we got to the county seat of the neighboring county, at the other end of the road, our little dog was getting whiny, so I figured she needed to relieve herself. Leaving town, I took the crooked old road up the hill, instead of the interstate-like new road, and stopped at the little church on the hilltop. The pooch peed for quite a spell, and I found a quarter in the slag of the lot during that time. She made a semi-solid fertilizer deposit under one of their hickory trees, though, so I figured that it was a fair trade. Our return home was uneventful and we got there about a half-hour before the day’s rain stated. Hope you had a good day.© 2012
-

11 comments:

Kathy Felsted Usher said...

Salt aside, it sounds like a good day. You can't ask much more than to be together. Mine was good too but in a very different way. I'll be posting about it soon. Thank you for the link to my blog, that was nice.

Hack said...

Sounds like fun! I love those old country drives.

Sixbears said...

I recently learned that some foods have more or less salt due to regional preferences. Wonder if you happen to be in a heavy salt region?

Gorges Smythe said...

Thanks, Kathy, and you're welcome.

Yeah, Hack, that's another thing from my childhood.

Probably so, Sixbears, the old-timers around here ate a lot of ham and bacon.

Judy's Corner said...

I don't have a medical reason to dislike the salt, but I find MANY of these restaurants REALLY pour it on. I end up being thirsty for HOURS after eating out. I would very much prefer they cut the salt back to tolerable level. Otherwise, your Labor Day sounds as if it was very enjoyable.

Gorges Smythe said...

It was a pleasant day, Judy, even if not exiting. Guess I'm getting too old for exciting anyway.

21shergar said...

These days in the UK taking any decent length drive is just so expensive. My wife and our two boys went up the Northumberland coast on Sunday to Alnmouth. It's a round trip of 130 miles and in our car which returns 40 mpg it cost in the region of £20, so $32. That's at £6.36 or $10.10 per gallon. How does that stack up against US fuel prices?

Gorges Smythe said...

So far, shergar, gas is "only" $4 a gallon here.Of that price, about $1.50 is taxes and another $1.50 is said to be caused by the shenanigans of speculators. That shows you how cheap gasoline COULD be. My large, double cab, four wheel drive truck gets about 17 miles to the gallon. I suspect that a lot of your fuel costs are transportation and TAXES.

21shergar said...

130p for a litre of unleaded petrol or diesel breakdowns as:
Excise Duty 59p
VAT 21.7p
Oil Company 44.3p
Retailer 5p

So, yes, that's a lot of tax.

Bill said...

Sounds like a good day to me. It's hard to get away from the salt unless you're doing your own cooking it seems.

Gorges Smythe said...

Well, shergar, I hear that one goal of the powers that be is to make us less mobile!

You're right, Bill. I got some fries at Burger King a while back that were so over-salted that I had to throw them away.