Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Ya Can’t Prevent “STUPID,”

-
but you can deal with it after the fact. While trying to do four different things at the same time last night, I managed to leave my keys in my truck and the ignition in the “on” position for the night. I’ve done stupider things, but not many. For some strange reason, my truck wouldn’t start this morning when I wanted to leave for work. My jumper cables are lost somewhere in the basement. Besides, my wife would never let me jump from her car anyway. The portable battery jumper I bought years ago is dead, and I’ve been trying unsuccessfully for a week or more to find a charger cord for it. I was stuck! Now, my wife could have taken me to work in her tin can, but I’d just have the same problem to deal with when I came home, so I decided to take the bull by the horns and get it over with.

First, I called off; with only two months of work left, who cares if they get peeved at me? Then I asked my wife to take me to town (in her tin can) to get a battery. The battery in the truck is less than a year old and perfectly fine (or would be if it had a charge), but there was a method to my madness. First, I had her take me to the closest repair garage that sells Interstate batteries and got the one that had the most cranking amps. Then, I went to the auto parts place across the street and got the best jumper cables that they had, a portable battery jumper for my wife’s little car, and a bigger one for my truck. They didn’t have charger cord for my old jumper, or a carry strap for batteries, so I went to our town’s NAPA store. They had a carry strap, but no charger cord. Despite being at Radio Shack twice and not being able to get waited on, plus going online to look AND calling them to ask, the guy at NAPA said that R.S. DID have the cord that I needed, even if they weren’t bright enough to know it. He then told me where to look in the store to find it myself. I didn’t want to take the time to go back, though, so I’ll hit Radio Shack again some other day.

After I went home, I used the new battery to jump my truck and get it running. Then I put the cables back in the box and put the box behind the rear seat. I then put the battery in the covered and locked truckbed until I could top off the charge. (Yes, I know where my regular battery charger is.) I put the carry strap for the battery beside the extra battery in the back of the truck. I put the two portable jumpers in the house until later in the week when I can top off THEIR charge, since the guy said they don’t come fully charged.

SO, hopefully, I won’t pull that stupid trick again. HOWEVER, if I or anyone else should need a jump, I will now have two ways to do it. Also, if my wife is out and gets a dead battery, she’ll be able to deal with it. PLUS, I now have an extra battery that can be used to power a twelve volt fan during the next power-outage in hot weather (like we had last summer). If it turns out that Radio Shack really DOESN’T have the charger cable for the old jumper, I’ll see if the one for my NEW jumper will handle the job. Plus, I asked the guru to help me look online. I may do some really dumb things at times, but at least I try to learn from my experience! © 2012
-

16 comments:

Sixbears said...

Experience is a tough teacher, but the lessons are retained.

Gorges Smythe said...

Yeah, Sixbears, I don't figure I'll be pulling THAT stunt for a while.

Angela said...

That reminds me of when I was dating my husband! lol He drove a Bronco II that was standard shift. His battery was dead or something. Here is what he did. He had the battery from his boat or some other thing like that in the floor in the front and jumper cables. He would jump his battery in the Bronco with that battery! lol Sometimes if we were on a slight hill he could get it to start from a rolling start. lol

Glad you got everything worked out today. It's not fun when you have car troubles.

Kathy Felsted Usher said...

Two months of work left? Retiring or otherwise?

kozak smola said...

Much ado about nothing. So it seems Shakespeare wrote

Gorges Smythe said...

I've coast-started many a vehicle, Angela.

They gave us our 60 day notice on the 29th, Kathy.

Thanks for your comment, ks; you are 100% correct. Congratulations on your discovery!

Linda said...

I echo Kozak's thoughts.

buddeshepherd said...

Dead batteries are pretty frustrating, and a fact of life on our farm. Somewhere we have the cool little mounting bracket that allows you to mount a 12v alternator onto a Briggs & Stratton pull start engine. Then you can charge your car battery with no 110v outlet for the regular battery charger. Never actually used it.
I'm a bit worried about your lack of employment. I suppose moving to Oregon for $10 an hour baling straw is really not what you are looking for.
I did not win the lottery and so don't expect a new portable sawmill in your mailbox.

Gorges Smythe said...

Maybe I took his comments wrong, then, Linda.

I'm a bit worried too, Budd but I TRY to have faith.

JaneofVirginia said...

Gorges,
I don't think it's stupid at all. You have a lot on your plate, not only your own impending unemployment, but that of so many you know. I find the dismantling of the US economy and the hardships of those I know to be much harder on me than I anticipated. I thought I would be ok as a prepped person/family. I am genuinely sad for a lot of people we know who are in trouble now.

Pumice said...

This reminds me of when I left my bag in the parking lot a few weeks ago. I think of it as a senior moment.

Grace and peace.

Gorges Smythe said...

Thanks, Jane, I'll go along with that! As for your concern for others, I'm sure you pray for them every day; that's about all you can do.

I think you have a few years on me, Pumice, but not many. I'll use the same excuse!

David C Brown said...

Every so often I do something and say, "At least that was a new stupid thing for me to do". Grace be with you all.

Gorges Smythe said...

Thank you, Mr. Brown.

Linda said...

Hi Gorges, I think you are too hard on yourself. (in this scenario, anyway). I did chuckle when you called your wife's car a tin can, though. :) I have no doubt that you have learned from the experience.

Gorges Smythe said...

Yes, Linda, I am the proverbial sadder but wiser man!