Sunday, January 13, 2013

For Those Who Like The "F-word"

-
Some folks use the f-word, or one of its variants, for every existing part of speech. It has become so much a part of our national (and maybe international) conversation that most people never know when they say it or hear it. For those of us who actually listen for meaning in a conversation, the word’s usage makes its user sound like an idiot.

Don’t agree? Then take my challenge! Since “F___” has the same meaning as “copulate,” replace the f-word  with the word “copulate” in your conversation for a few days. If you think it sounds stupid when you say it, remember that is exactly what you sound like when you use the f-word. © 2013
-

7 comments:

Ralph Goff said...

I agree Gorges. That word is grossly over-used in today's society. There is a time and place for it but good grief, enough is enough. Your suggestion reminds me of a Monty Python sketch using the word "excrement".

Angela said...

I do not like that word and never have liked that word. I can't stand it when it is in the new movies that come out. It is just so shocking to me and I'm old enough to hear that word but I don't want to hear it! I don't want my children to hear it either.

Linda said...

I agree wholeheartedly, Gorges! I am so tired of hearing this word and hear it often when I take the bus and there happens to be a group of teens talking. They say that word practically every sentence.

Phillip said...

Growing up in our family I never heard anyone ever swear. My father would rather die than swear.
At the age of 18 I was called up by the army for national service. In the army every other word spoken was the F word.
After 3 months I got my first weekend pass. Saturday morning at breakfast I said, "pass the f...'n butter please." As per regular army fashion. There was a deadly silence at the table, my father said nothing, and I never used the word again.

Gorges Smythe said...

It actually gets rather tiring at times, Ralph.

You know, Angela, I think people start using it for shock value, but it's now so common, I don't consider it shocking, just trashy.

The younger the kids, the more they seem to use it it, it seems to me, Linda.

Like you, I never once heard my parents curse, Phillip. I can't say the same about myself, sadly.

Crystal Mary said...

I cringe when I hear that in every day speech. As far as I am concerned, people who use it do so because that lack to vocabulary and don't know how else to express themselves.I heard it used in a 1950's movie recently, and to my knowledge, the word wasn't used back then.

Gorges Smythe said...

Actually, the word has been around since before WW II at least, but only trash tended to use it.