Thursday, January 3, 2013

My, How Things Have Changed!


-
The other night, my wife and I used a gift certificate we received for Christmas to dine at one of the national chain restaurants. I let her out at the door, so she could get our name on the list, and then parked the truck. When I got inside, several young folks were standing around, and we did the same. My wife nodded toward a young couple seated in the tiny seating area, and told me that she was going to get us a seat, but the young woman saw her intent and rushed over and sat down before my wife could get there. Nothing new; I see things like that all the time.

A couple minutes after I got there, two other couples came in, one probably in their 70’s, the other probably in their 80’s. They appeared to all be together. After giving the “hostess” their names, they stood there like the rest of us. I glanced over at those seated in disbelief. When I was a kid, boys were taught to give their seat to any female, and to older males. Even girls were taught to give their seats to older ladies and any pregnant woman. The oldest seated couple may have been in their 40’s. The other were all 30 or under. There were six of us “old folks” standing, and seven much younger folks seated. Three of the “youngsters’ were playing with their phones.

I wouldn’t have taken a seat anyway, but the three women were standing with some slight difficulty, as was the oldest man. I would have said something to those seated, but I would have embarrassed the other folks, so I didn’t. I guess the age of chivalry is long dead; or maybe its last adherents were standing there with grey hair. © 2013
-

10 comments:

Angela said...

That is just awful. I miss the good old days! Unfortunately I think chivalry is long dead. I remember when I was younger when men of all ages would open the door for me if I was going inside a store of any kind. Now it seems like I might have one man open the door here or there but not like it used to be.

Tania @ Out Back said...

Well I think that is just plain rude. Like you, we were taught to give up our seats for the older folk :) Unfortunately the younger ones today are taught no manners by their parents. My children would have given you a seat for sure :)

x

irontomflint said...

Chivalry is not dead-at least not yet! It's not about "HEY! Look at ME!" It is all about "I SEE YOU!"
I taught my son how to behave socially, you know the drill; open doors for women and the elderly, follow a woman UP the stairs and precede a woman DOWN the stairs.
But the one thing that drives me up a wall is to see a couple walking along and the woman is walking on the outside, closest to the CURB! Gawd! I wanna slap some sense into the male population!
Yes I have been berated by women for opening the door for her. When told of my misdeed I would reply that I mistook her for a lady and would never make that mistake again. That shuts them up right quick!

Gorges Smythe said...

Gentlemen are few these days, Angela, and so are ladies, it seems.

Glad you're raising them right, Tania.

Good rejoinder, irontomflint!

Pumice said...

What has been a surprise to me is the number of people who have offered to help me now that I am looking older. I think that those who were raised right will continue being leaven and those who were not will continue to be dead weight.

Grace and peace.

Rick Kratzke said...

Chivalry is not dead it just has been forgotten. I would have gladly given up my seat because that is the way I was raised and that is the way I raise my kids.
Sadly some have forgotten that.

Michael Silvius said...

There is a reason its called the ME generation....narcissism, selfishness, and egotism abound. Regrettably not only do they vote, they procreate as well. And so the lowest common denominator multiplies.They ARE the zombies.

Gorges Smythe said...

I run into that occasionally, too, Pumice. It's REALLY a surprise the first time it happens!

Good for you, Rick. Seriously.

Pretty much on target, Michael.

Kathy Felsted Usher said...

I even see this in church. Our church is very small and on some days there are several people standing, even women holding babies. There are some that notice and get up but you would think that more young people, men and women not minding kids would immediately offer to stand in the back.

Gorges Smythe said...

Kathy, maybe that would be a good subject to suggest to the preacher for a sermon!