Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Who’d A-Thunk?

-
I sat in my pickup in the Wally-World parking lot this afternoon as my wife walked an empty buggy around the store for exercise. She prefers that to going to the mall where she’d have to take her cane in case her foot starts acting up. Sitting beside me was a one-ton flatbed with a load of ear-corn in the stake body of the bed. It seemed to me that I was seeing an awful lot of red cob amongst the yellow ears. At first, I assumed they’d picked the corn too dry and the picker had knocked a lot of the kernels off the small ends. Then, I realized that some ears were missing well over half their kernels. I’d guess that a full quarter of the kernels were missing on the load. I gradually became aware that something somewhere had been eating a lot of corn. Whether it was rats, pigeons or coons, I have no idea. And, I don’t know if the guy was buying or selling.

It felt sort of good, sitting there beside a once familiar scene. Back when I raised cattle and rabbits and had a horse, I would never have dreamed that a load of corn would become a rare sight around here. Time has certainly changed the way of life in this area. Farmers are few and far between, there’s only one dairy in the whole county and even corn fields aren’t that common, except for a few sections right along the Ohio River. As I sat there looking at a portion of the earth’s golden bounty piled on the little flatbed, I realized that I’d prefer not to eat that corn, or the animal that eventually eats it. There’s about a 99 percent chance that it’s GMO corn, and I’ve heard too many lies, and have too many unanswered questions about it to eat it any way but unknowingly (which we ALL do).

In a few minutes, a young couple came out of the store with a few items, put them in the truck and drove away. When I was their age, I never thought I’d have the concerns about food safety and farm-living that I do at this age. They seemed happy. I hope they always are. You can’t miss a time you never knew. These are THEIR “good ol’ days.” © 2013
-

8 comments:

Angela said...

My neighbor raises corn for her cows and chickens. There is a cattle farm not far from our house where they sell their cows to the stores is what I've heard. I grew up on the street of an old dairy farm that went out of business. I remember it but my mom remembers it from when she was a kid. They would get their milk delivered from there.

I think you are so right about the fact that right now would be their good ol days. That is sad to think because that is the same for my kids. I shelter them as much as I can but the real world is not the same as it was when I was a kid. That scares me.

Le Loup said...

Good post.
Keith.

Gorges Smythe said...

I guess that's where trusting in the Lord comes in, Angela.

Thanks, Keith.

Phillip said...

Good old days? I was there where were they? (I have to admit some of them were not too shabby).

HermitJim said...

I think I remember some of the "good old days"!

Hope they youngsters can make them some!

Gorges Smythe said...

Every generation has its good memories and its bad I guess, Phillip.

I hope so too, Jim.

kare said...

There was a small Dairy down the hill from us..driving in to get milk was heavenly..no Cow smell...the smell of milk being processed...MMmmm!
A Nieghborhood called Orange Grove actually Was in an Orange grove..
There were farms to pick your own strawberries and farm stands on many street corners. In Southern Californi..no less..
i'm told there are still a few but the air is so polluted we avoid going over there now. Last time we did i was amazed at how many housing tracts had taken over so much of the farm lands.
i know it's hard to believe but it used to be a Beautiful state. Too many people wanted to be there because of that.
It's why we moved so long ago.

Gorges Smythe said...

The same with Hawaii, I hear, kare.