Friday, March 1, 2013

It's Comin'

-

It didn't FEEL like spring as I took the dog out into the predawn this morning. A heavy frost was on the vehicles, while stray shadows of snow lay on the leeward side of everything from some mood-change of the weather in the night. At the far end of the porch, the “Easter flowers” were six inches tall and starting to bud. The light was such that I’d slipped on my jeans, knowing that it was too light to sneak out in my skivvies, like I’ve been doing all winter. I wouldn’t want to give the kids on the school bus a peep-show. Despite it only being the first day of March, a gobbler on the next ridge was sounding off so much that the dog had difficulty concentrating on her task. I didn’t realize that turkeys had calendars! It ain’t quite here yet, folks; but it’s comin.’ © 2013
-

5 comments:

Sixbears said...

Thanks for the encouraging words. It'll get to you before me. Glad I took a winter break.

buddeshepherd said...

Some folks are more ready for spring than others. I feel that I have not been able to spend as much time in the Lazy-Boy as I should have.

Rick Kratzke said...

I agree, you can almost feel the season starting to change.

Scott or Pam said...

Oh, I am so ready for warm air.

Gorges Smythe said...

And I', glad you got that break, Sixbears.

I usually feel the same way, Budd. This year, I think my age is catching up with me a bit.

Soon, Rick, we'll be SMELLING spring, just like we smelled fall coming before it really arrived. You're a woodsman; you know what I mean.

I think a lot of folks are, S & P!