Saturday, March 16, 2013

Nobody Knows Nothin’ No More!

-
Now that I have your attention with my impressive misuse of negatives, I’ll begin the day’s rant. My loyal readers will know that I frequently lament the near total cluelessness of most young people with my posts. This is just one more case of the same. Now understand, the real fault lies not with the young people, but with their parents and the bulk of their teachers and employers.

The subject comes up today because of my feet sticking to the floor in a local fast-food joint earlier in the day. I will assume that a large cup of sweet tea or soft drink was spilled in the restaurant and that afterwards there was a too-quick mop-up made of the area. I doubt if they knew that it’s best to soak up the bulk of the spill with rags or paper towels so there would be less spill to deal with in the first place. Obviously, not enough water was used to thin out the sugar enough to keep the floor from being sticky when it was mopped (IF it was mopped).

That got me to thinking, though, about the general condition of mops in fast-food joints. If I had a dollar for every time that I’ve seen mop-buckets of dark-grey, greasy water rolled out of restaurant closets to clean up spills, I might not be wealthy, but I could certainly afford take my wife out to a better class of restaurant! Do even the managers not know that you’re supposed to change the water and wash the mop after every heavy (or cumulative) use? I’ve actually seen grease-balls floating on the mop water and smelled rank, soured mops that had, obviously, NEVER been washed out and dried between uses. It’s so bad, that in some places, you can actually see a line down low on the wall where the mop reaches. Everything above that line is relatively clean; everything below is stained grayish-brown. It doesn’t seem to matter what state you’re in, the restaurants are all the same.

Another thing, have you ever noticed that some restaurants have restrooms and lobbies with greasy floors? That means that they not only use the same mop there as in the kitchen, AND VICE VERSA, but do so without ever changing the water and washing the mop! Disgusting! © 2013
-

7 comments:

JaneofVirginia said...

My pet peeve is foamy ketchup out of the containers in fast food. Does anyone really clean inside the dispenser ? I think I will take a ketchup packet to go please.

Gorges Smythe said...

I don't think the outside even gets cleaned anymore, Jane, except when some little kid licks it. Blech!

Kathy Felsted Usher said...

My assumption is that everything I get in a restaurant is dirty, and from speaking to those behind the scenes, even in non-fast food places, no one seems to care. We don't eat out much.

Pumice said...

One of the measures my wife has on whether to return to a restaurant is the condition of the bathrooms. One of our favorite Mexican places she discovered when she made an emergency stop and asked to use the facilities. She was so impressed we went back and became regulars (To the food not the bathroom).

Grace and peace

Pumice said...

Another thought from a teacher. One of the first things to be cut in our school district is janitorial services. Keeping the trash picked up, emptying the pencil sharpeners, cleaning the endless graffiti off the desks all fall by the wayside but we have plenty of money for anti-bullying curriculum and energy consultants.

Grace and peace.

Gorges Smythe said...

I wouldn't either, if it was up to me, Kathy.

There's nothing wrong with being "regular" in the bathroom, Pumice! As for education finances, frivolous spending is why school boards never get enough.

Gorges Smythe said...

"I can't say that I disagree, but then I can't say I agree either."

I THINK this is where this comment by "Pumice" is supposed to be; Blogger stuck it somewhere that I KNEW it didn't belong!