Friday, April 12, 2013

A Be-Addled Sort Of Day

-
I meant to get up a bit earlier and get the winter treads off my truck this morning. My wife decided to go with me, though, and by the time we both made ourselves presentable, we decided to have a late breakfast at Bob Evans. Since the old man died, it seems the quality has gone down and the prices have gone up. We won’t be going back for a while.

When we got to the tire dealer, I decided to store the winter treads for next winter instead of retiring them to the tater patch. I’ve got a new set of studded tires already in storage there, but they’ll hold okay. I looked around the lot and found a small handful of wheel weights in the cracks of the concrete. Probably enough for a dozen balls for my muzzleloader. I recently managed to get a .500 mold for my .54 smooth-bore rifle, so I won’t be buying the lead balls for it anymore. I went with a smoothbore so I could feed it lead, ball-bearings or even bolts if things got desperate. Also, it can serve as a 28 gauge shotgun. The only thing that would make it a better survival gun would be if it was a flintlock.

The truck ran SO much quieter when I left the tire shop. Not only are my winter treads studded, but they also have rough tread and are TEN PLY. The smooth six-ply summer treads are MUCH quieter on the pavement, and ride smoother besides.

I went to Wally World afterward to see if they’d found my phone where I’d left it on the toilet-paper dispenser in the bathroom yesterday. AMAZINGLY, someone had actually turned it in instead of stealing it. I was very thankful, since I’d given that number out on several job applications.

I then called and got an appointment tomorrow to get the air-conditioner fixed on my truck. They surely had a cancellation for me to get in that soon. My wife then called her brother to come out and put Freon (or whatever they use these days) in our home unit. She found out that he had to put down his dog of fifteen years today. He was already half-dead from a horrible cold and working too long of hours, and now he’s upset over his dog. Of course, THAT got my wife upset.

When we came home, she finally worked up nerve enough to have me read the information about how our two youngest granddaughters had basically been living ill-fed and ill-cared for with their mother in what is basically a crack-house. That REALLY upset her. At six and 14, they’ve become fairly adept at looking after one another, but thankfully, they’re currently living with my stepson and doing very well. Until the mother can pass a urine test, there won’t even BE any custody hearings. We’re praying he’ll get full custody when that does occur. Your continued prayers are solicited. © 2013
 -

9 comments:

buddeshepherd said...

What I do not understand about the modern world. I like the term de-evolution. The parents worked hard to better themselves. The grandparents were the same. But the children drop into the peasant class. Sometimes the grandchildren do better than their parents but it is that one generation that goes off the rails. I don't understand why. I am watching it happen in my extended family. It is heart breaking. I hope and pray it doesn't happen to me.
I need a new helper. You can come out and work for me.

Gorges Smythe said...

I hope and pray it doesn't either, Budd. And if it was just me, I'd be glad to come out and help you. I'm shaped about like your current helper, but I'm famous for shoeing up every day! :-)

Sixbears said...

Can't help but be concerned about the kids. Sometimes this a crazy old world to live in.

No summer tires for me. It's 22 degrees and snowing here this morning.

Michael Silvius said...

Having a crack junkie for a neighbor I can attest to how frighteningly chaotic they can make their life and that of those near them. The one next door has been arrested no less than 8 times in the last 24 months. I cringe every time I hear the zombies on the left screech about legalizing drugs. It is the ultimate expression of a society conditioned to be hell bent on instant self gratification with absolutely no regard for the consequences. Extremism is glorified and rules the day. Self control and refrain do not exist. They have lost all instinct for self preservation. It becomes increasingly difficult to remain positive when surrounded by that sort of parasites. Darwin will rule in the end. It is a shame we no longer have saber toothed tigers running around to cull the lame from the herd and speed the process along.

Ralph Goff said...

Still need the winter tires here in Sask. Some people have summer and winter tires. I have a summer truck and a winter truck. :-)

Gorges Smythe said...

We pray for those kids every day, Sixbears. As for summer, I'm sure it will get to you eventually.

Michael, if scientists get their way, we'll have those saber-toothed tigers before you know it.

I reckon that would save a lot of bother, Ralph!

JaneofVirginia said...

Wendy's has also not been as good since the passing of Dave Thomas, its founder.

Kathy Felsted Usher said...

Sending prayers - the poor kids. In my area it's meth that does them in.

Gorges Smythe said...

For the most part, I'd agree, Jane.

Actually, Kathy, I think it's more meth THERE than anything else.