Friday, May 17, 2013

Better Late Than Never

-
After looking several days for a place to buy a 3" by 30" piece of black pipe with an end-cap to drive some wooden stakes to hold some wire tubes that I planned to make, I finally had to change plans. Yesterday, I put my hog rings to use and made four 10" by 36" columes of 1/2" hardware cloth. Today, I used some rebar stakes from my trapping days to hold the wire tubes until I make better arrangements. One of the grapes I was wanting to protect got eaten back a couple weeks ago, but it's already put on new leaves. For now, at least, they should be safe.

What I learned from the experience is that large sizes of black iron pipe aren't easy commodities to come by anymore. I checked several places that used to carry a small stock and discovered that they don't stock anything over 2" anymore. Of course the REALLY good places to buy any hardware items now exist only in my memory. The old store-keepers have died off and most folks these days hire contractors to do their plumbing, so the newer stores don't stock the larger sizes. By the time I re-adjusted my thinking and figured out where to get my pipe, I had decided to wait until another time to spend the money. I'm still looking for work,after all. © 2013
-

6 comments:

Le Loup said...

Can't give you a price Georges, because I have had mine a long time, but you could check & see if anyone sells a picket driver. I assume this is what you were going to make. I don't recall mine was expensive. Farm suppliers should stock them.
All the best.
Regards, Keith.

Gorges Smythe said...

I can buy them here for more than they're worth, Keith; I was just trying to go on the cheap.

Le Loup said...

Fair enough too Gorges.
Keith.

Pumice said...

Sounds to me like you are a dangerous radical trying to build a bomb. The government has probably banned what you were looking for to keep us all safe.

Grace and peace

Gorges Smythe said...

Yeah, Pumice, next thing you know, I'll be on the news for attacking the president with a pop-tart!

Kev Alviti said...

My dad has loads of bits of metal everywhere from years of working with it. So when I wanted to make a post basher it was easy (and free) to find what I wanted!