Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Ditching Deodorant

-
No, I promise that I won’t go stinking. In fact, it was my wife who was ditching HER deodorant today. She didn’t ditch it all, just the ones that had aluminum as an ingredient. For some strange reason, she actually listened when I mentioned the link between aluminum and Alzheimer’s. They don’t know if it’s a cause or a symptom, but Alzheimer’s patients have an accumulation of aluminum in their brains. We’ve made it a point for several years not to use any deodorant that has aluminum in it. My wife has gradually replaced our old aluminum cookware with cast-iron or stainless steel for the same reason. She recently realized just how often companies change their ingredients and found that some of her choices had added aluminum since she first started using them.

Recently, I read that they’ve also found a link between antiperspirants and breast cancer in women. I figure that even non-aluminum compounds that stop your body from functioning normally can’t possibly be good for you. So, I’ve started buying only deodorants WITHOUT antiperspirant action. My current choice is made by “Tom’s” of Maine. I used to be able to get it at our local Mother Earth Foods, but they quit carrying it. Surprisingly, Walmart has started stocking it, and at a much reduced price. I notice my underarms are easier to wash without all the sticky antiperspirant compounds. I realize that this will be a little too much information for some of you, but if it keeps anyone from getting cancer, I hope you’ll feel that it’s worth it. © 2013
-

8 comments:

Pumice said...

Anti-antiperspirants are effective but for a long time I have avoided them because, as you said, something that blocks the body from working in its natural way could have consequences we are not planning on.

Interesting topic.

Grace and peace

Gorges Smythe said...

What is it they say, Warren: "great minds run alike?"

Brenda said...

Degree deodarant is another that is reccommended by a doctor for best choice, as it doesn't have those cancer causing ingredients either. This is all I will use. I think it comes in men and women's brand, but not sure.

Gorges Smythe said...

I'll look for it, Brenda, thanks.

Tania @ Out Back said...

I use a tea tree deodorant, works fine for me, even the flies stay well clear lol!

Gorges Smythe said...

That should be great during picnics, Tania! ;-)

Abraham Lincoln said...

My mother always told me nobody should have to use antiperspirants if they are eating right. The smells or odors the body gives off are natural and smells like a human being. If you are eating right, mother said, you don't stink.

However, I did an article for the newspaper about baths and bathing and until it was part of the Saturday Night Bath was the ritual before putting on good clothes for Sunday morning church is something that is of recent vintage.

They used to stink really bad until bathing became vogue. Before that the odors just accumulated and unless somebody fell in the creek they just smelled bad.

Gorges Smythe said...

Yes, Mr. Lincoln, the "good ol' days" had their drawbacks, too!