Monday, May 27, 2013

Memorial Day Weekend

-
Amongst other things, my wife and I went to a couple cemeteries Saturday. She put a flag at her father’s grave, and at the grave of her first husband. While she was doing the latter, I put a couple little sprigs of flowers on the graves of some relatives whose kids and grandkids never visit. I went back to the truck to give my wife some time with the only man she ever loved. Understandably, she gets watery-eyed at such times, so I let her have her privacy. Eventually, she called to me and asked if I’d help her down the long steep bank to the road where we were parked. As we both hobbled down the bank, we joked that if either of us fell, they’d take the other along and we’d break our necks together. Old age ain’t for sissies, they say. Later, I picked up a couple “Mortgage Lifter” tomato plants at Wally-World.

Yesterday (Sunday), along with other things, we dropped by another cemetery and I put flags on the graves of three uncles. The other cousins aren’t getting around too good anymore, so when I’m no longer able to put out flags, I guess their graves will go unnoticed. One of them has two stones—one shared with his first wife who died young, where he was supposed to be buried, and one he shares with his second wife where his body actually lies. Everyone liked the second wife, and she actually spent more time with my uncle than his first wife, but we were a little disappointed that she’d do such a thing. There are several plots between the two stones, but at the time, there was an empty slot right beside my aunt and uncle’s marker on his side, so she could have been buried beside him anyway. I could never understand how she couldn’t share a dead man’s bones. The REAL “him” wasn’t there anyway.

Late in the day yesterday, I planted my two tomato plants with the Jerusalem artichokes, since there was room for them inside the little rail fence I put up to protect them from deer. I hope they’re compatible. I put a couple tire casings around my hill of volunteer potatoes, but I didn’t get any dirt put in the tires yet. They should be safe from the deer a few days, though I’d better get some wire around them soon.

I was noticing how many veterans’ graves were undecorated this year. Even many of their kids are dead by now, and the younger generation doesn’t seem to care. Also, like some folks I know, there are people who just can’t handle the emotion, so don’t ever visit their relative’s graves. That in turn teaches their kids not to go, so the graves go untended and forgotten.

We’re not doing anything special today, nor have we this weekend. My wife refuses to invite anyone up, and has for years, so no-one invites us over anymore either. Fair is fair, I figure, so I don’t blame them. Most people just eat and run anymore anyway, so I guess it’s no big deal. We’ll spend our time reminiscing about old days and family get-togethers as we pass our day alone. Come tomorrow we’ll be glad to greet the week.

I put a question on Facebook this morning; to quote, “If Jesus comes today right after the barbeque, will you be ready?” With the world in the shape it’s in right now, I think it’s a valid question. © 2013
-

6 comments:

Chickenmom said...

My Dad was my first love and he always will be. God, how I miss him! Today was Hubby's 72nd birthday and the kids came over for a BBQ. It was nice to have everyone together. Now, we are just so tired. Birthday Boy is on the back deck relaxing. The dishes can wait...

They call me Moe! said...

I see lonely people everywhere I go. Nobody visits anymore. Some folks are starved for conversation.

We don't have much company ourselves and mostly it's ok. Even so some friends to occasionally share a story or meal with would be very enjoyable.

Chickenmom said...

Oops! Didn't mean the dishes were waiting for Hubby. I just didn't feel like doing them right then!

Gorges Smythe said...

Glad you had a good day, Cm.

I agree completely, Moe.

LOL! I knew what you meant, Cm!

country life said...

We have not had a BBQ since dad died three years ago....BBQs was something dad loved and I can't seem to get the family to get together to have one again....I sure do miss dad though so I understand them not wanting to come around much,the old farm house brings back lots of memories....I just wish they would realize Mom is still here and she likes BBQs and get together also....

Gorges Smythe said...

I've noticed that the passing of some folks does seem to put a damper on things. Maybe you need to remind the others of your mothers needs and then MAKE it happen. They may discover that they can still have a good time.