Monday, May 13, 2013

Watching “Survivor”

-

I wouldn’t watch the show if I was alone, but my wife likes to watch it, for some reason. It’s just tolerable enough that I watch it with her so she’ll think we’re having some “quality time” together. The show does appeal some to the people-watching side of me. It’s always interesting to see just how low some people will go to get a million dollars (which the government will take half of). Most decent people would never go on a show where they know they’ll have to cheat, lie to, and use other people. The decent folks who DO end up on the show usually get voted off first.

Something a bit different happened this time. A basically decent woman made up her mind that she would lie and mislead like everyone else, in order to have the best shot at winning the game. Then, at the end, they held it against her for acting exactly like themselves. Apparently, they wanted her to be a patsy that THEY could use and throw away! In my years of watching, I've never seen a more angry, bitter jury (comprised of also-rans).A little oriental girl that was a real witch last time, seemed to be a changed person in this game, but when she didn’t get the million dollars, she showed that she was as mean, cruel and vindictive as ever. I was sort of sorry to see that; I’d actually thought that she’d grown up a little.

The basically decent mother of six didn’t win. The female millionaire didn’t win either. The Harvard Law School student with the doctor father won. He started out likeable, but as he gained confidence, he started acting more like the rest of them. That was a bit of a disappointment, too.

Frankly, I would enjoy the show more if it was an actual survival show, rather than a social experiment. No-one ever seems to do any homework to learn any survival skills before they end up on the show. They build flat-roofed huts that leak rain like a sieve. They’re never able (except once) make fire without flint and steel. And they are surrounded by monkeys, snakes, rats, fruit bats and a whole ocean full of fish and yet very nearly starve to death every time. I guess there are just a lot of stupid people in the world, including the ones who waste their evenings watching such shows. © 2013
-

6 comments:

kare said...

AaaaCK!!

We're in the O.T. Book of Judges right now...
They "once again, did evil in the eyes LORD".

WHO needs Survivor with all this?

Bless You for the gift of 'Quality time'... it matters Sir, truely.
Keep up the good work:)

Gorges Smythe said...

Thanks, kare.

Mamahen said...

I commend you on watching a program you really don't care for to spend time with your wife. As for the choice of programs, I find very little if anything "real" in realality tv. There is very little on tv I bother to watch, but do look at older movies from time to time with my hubby....in the intrest of quality time :))

Pumice said...

Quality time watching "Survivor" together. Let's see, what is the term, oxymoron? I can see I am going to need to post on "How to Train Your Wife." I could do that because she never reads my blog.

Our quality time is spent on high level things like DVD's of Reba and Hazel.

Grace and peace

MuddyValley said...

Survivor would be more meaningful and no doubt have better ratings if the weak were simply killed off by their own ineptitude instead of voted off.

Gorges Smythe said...

Thanks, Mh; we we end up watching a lot of Gaither videos. Beats "Survivor!"

I'm not a big Reba fan, but either is a better bunch of folks than the greedy, lying folks on "Survivor."

Are you sure you aren't Budd, using MV's identity? ;-)