Thursday, June 27, 2013

Remembering A True Friend

-
Click image to enlarge.



It’s been five years now since we lost our first little Dachshund, Gretchie (short for Gretchen). She had been our friend and companion for 15 years. With only the three of us in our home, losing her felt like losing a member of the family. I guess, in our hearts, she WAS a member of the family. My wife had told me to scatter her ashes in the woods around our house, not wanting to be constantly reminded of her loss with some visual connection.

Unknown to my wife, I put the ashes at the edge of the yard, thinking that if our little friend  had a say in the matter, she’d have wanted to remain as close to us as possible. And so, little Gretchie’s ashes resided under a small, flat sandstone all this time. Recently, we scraped together enough funds to take a jaunt to Amish country in Ohio. While there, I came across a concrete statue of a Dachshund about a foot long, and I knew it was time to do something for Gretchie’s grave. I really couldn’t afford $20 for a piece of concrete, but I bought it anyway.

Once home, I asked my wife if it had been long enough that she could bear knowing where our little friend had been buried. She said yes. So, once outside again, I picked up the stone, put down a concrete paver that I’d bought for another project, and then sat the statue on that. The picture you see above is the view from the porch swing by our “front” door (actually located on the side of the house). The next time my wife came out the door, the little memorial was in place. She seemed to think it was a good location. Gretchie was such a loving, sweet little dog—I find myself getting misty-eyed, even as I type this. © 2013
-

7 comments:

Chickenmom said...

Sam, our Samoyed, was the best dog I ever had. He's been gone for over 30 years and I still miss him.

Mamma Bear said...

GS..What a sweet memorial for your fur baby. I would have forked out the %20.00 too!

I have been in search of ceramic pieces as well to do the exact thing you did. I would also like a goat statue to place on "Cowboy's" burial spot. He was such a sweetheart.

Gorges Smythe said...

I can understand that, Cm.

If I hear of any, MB, I'll let you know.

Mamahen said...

Beautiful....i'm glad you a have a special spot for her. We have my husband and my daughters dogs burried in back of our place... We didn't the funds to buy markers so we marked them with slabs of sandstone Tom found while clearing ground for our mobile home.

Gorges Smythe said...

Stones are just as good as concrete, Mh. All of our beloved old farm dogs are buried on a small, wooded flat down at the old farm, in unmarked graves. I had to sell the place, so I don't know what will become of their resting spot.

Linda said...

And I got misty-eyed reading this, Gorges. What a lovely and heartwarming post.

Gorges Smythe said...

Thank you, Linda.