Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Bits And Pieces

-
I finally mowed the yard yesterday. The road ditch was still a bit sloppy and was full of deer tracks. Apparently they’ve been watering there the past week or two, since the ditch has a couple places where pools form in rainy weather. I saw where the hairy #^$%*&@s have eaten off my potato plant again. I put some concrete re-enforcement wire around it, but they either turned their heads sideways to get to it, or found the gap in the back where the wire lacked a few inches of meeting. That’s the second time, so I have serious doubts about how many potatoes the plant will produce, when it has to keep replacing leaves.

I think our resident mocking-bird has added a tree-frog call to its repertoire. I Guess I’ll be hearing that sound day and night now. That reminded me of years ago when one at the farm learned my whistle for the horse and kept the poor four-footed fellow in a state of confusion. He kept hearing me, but couldn’t see me!

Also, we went up to my brother-in-laws for an evening cookout in honor of his birthday. His family likes him, but they usually avoid him, since they can’t stomach his wife. She’s from “the wrong side of the river” and has the domineering, know-it-all, superior attitude that so many folks from across the state line seem to have. She wasn’t too bad, yesterday, though, and we all had a nice visit.

I don’t mean to insinuate that EVERYBODY over there is like my brother-in-law’s wife; there ARE a lot of nice folks over there, too. One came to mind recently. A guy from the far, northwest corner of that state was in the service with my dad during the big war, and he and Dad became buddies. We met up with him and some of his family in the early seventies when we went to pick my sister up at a summer camp where she was counselor. I think it was the very early 80’s when he and his wife and a couple kids dropped by the farm while they were on vacation. The land drops one inch in one mile where he’s from. He told of coming out our winding valley road at 15 MPH with both hands on the wheel, amazed to see other folks breezing around the bends with one hand on the wheel and the other arm hanging out the car window. He said he’d never driven in the “mountains” before. He was headed for the worst of the mountains in West Virginia, and we didn’t have the heart to tell him that he was hardly in the foothills yet. It was when they had some horrible storms up that way recently that I thought of him. Like Dad, though, he may have passed years ago.

Last night, I took the dog out to take a wiz and she dropped in a section of drive-way where the thin veneer of pea gravel is punctuated by small tufts of grass. As a small yellow river wound its way downhill, a granddaddy long-legs jumped from his grassy home and ran for his life. I think the dog wondered why I was laughing.

Technically, we’re having a heat wave in my neck-of-the woods. My wife and I are thankful for the air-conditioning in our truck and home. I just hope we don’t have a big power-outage like last year!

We had a relative visit tonight who has to always be the center of attention and the final authority on all matters. It was interesting to listen to her “remember” things that happened before she was born. Some people amaze me. © 2013
-

12 comments:

Mamahen said...

Glad you cleared that up about folks on the "wrong side" of the river lol:)

Gorges Smythe said...

Trust me, Mh, if you met THAT one, you wouldn't like her. She lives here; she works here. Her husband has always made a good living here; she raised her son here and sent him to college here, but spends her time constantly bad-mouthing our state and does her shopping in her OLD state, even though it's THIS one that's always provided her living.

Gorges Smythe said...

Trust me, Mh, if you met THAT one, you wouldn't like her. She lives here; she works here. Her husband has always made a good living here; she raised her son here and sent him to college here, but spends her time constantly bad-mouthing our state and does her shopping in her OLD state, even though it's THIS one that's always provided her living.

Mamahen said...

Yeah..there is good n bad everywhere i've found :))

Gorges Smythe said...

Agreed, Mh.

Sixbears said...

Has it occurred to you that you aren't raising potatoes -you are raising venison?

Kathy Felsted Usher said...

I hope they don't read your blog!
I know what you mean about the roads, while ours are nothing like yours they are narrow, winding, up and down hills with no shoulders. When we first moved down here I drove about 45 max, carefully. Now I breeze around like it was nothing.

Pumice said...

Have you heard about how used coffee grounds will discourage cats from using your garden for a piddle pad? I wonder if it would work for other four legged creatures. Of course, being a city slicker it may not even work for cats. It could be just one of those jokes that folks play on us less fortunate ones.

Grace and peace.

Gorges Smythe said...

Yeah, Sixbears, but my wife won't eat venison, or I'd have a freezer full. I'm thinking about putting some away for me and the dog, though.

They don't even know that I can type, Kathy! Familiarity breeds contempt; be careful! lol

I don't know about coffee grounds, Pumice, but when the now deceased old lady across the road had 47 cats, I learned that LEAD in small doses could be surprisingly effective.

Mamahen said...

Gorges!!!! You and my brother have the same outlook on cats(smh). I'll never understand that in such otherwise likeable men, but then noone is perfect :))

Gorges Smythe said...

Well, Mh, I figure seven MIGHT be pets, but FORTY-SEVEN is a trespassing herd! Even then, I might have been a bit more tolerant if they hadn't started laying siege to my bird-feeder.

Mamahen said...

Yes, Tom likes our cats (we have 4 now) but they stay on our property , and at that, he does get a bit put out they catch on of the chipmunks he likes to watch from his window...