Sunday, July 28, 2013

My Hatchet Collection (most of it, anyway)

-
Top left is a hewing hatchet, also called a side-hatchet or broad-hatchet.
The second one on left is a full hatchet with nail claws.
Third is a half-hatchet with nail claws.
Fourth is a full hatchet with a nail slot and pole.
Fifth is an old Boy Scout axe (from my grandfather's barn, I think). It feels good in even my large hands.

Top right is a checker-pole hatchet with a 19" handle. It probably started out as a 20", since this was one of my granddad's rig-building hatchets.
second is also one of Granddad's rig-building, checker-pole hatchets, but with a new 14" handle. You can't find 20's around here anymore, and I've never yet made one from scratch.
Third is the True-Temper pole hatchet I've had since I was a kid. Dad gave it to me used, even then (50 years ago).
Fourth is another regular pole hatchet.
Fifth is a regular pole hatchet, also.

Left 2&3, plus right 4&;5, I bought in Ohio's Amish country in times past. Left one, I bought locally at a now-defunct hardware store many years ago. Left 3 looks so much like a tomahawk, I think it would look good sticking in some hunter's belt. The head for left 4 was given to me by the old man that used to live across the road from me. ALL of the hatchets on the right side have nail slots. SOMEWHERE, I've got another Boy Scout hatchet with a straight handle that the old man across the road put in it many years ago. I guess I'm "over-hatcheted," but when I see a good OLD one cheap, I just can't resist!

-

11 comments:

Le Loup said...

Good one Gorges.
Keith.

Gorges Smythe said...

Thanks, Keith.

Abraham Lincoln said...

I am the same way with fountain pens and mechanical pencils.

Brian said...

A fine collection Gorges I'm envious:)

Mamahen said...

Nice collection!

Abraham Lincoln said...

Around 1944 -- perhaps earlier -- one of my jobs was to split the wood used for starting fires in the stoves -- we called it "kindling." And when a laying hen had stopped laying eggs, mother would tell me to chop off its head and we'd clean and dress it for dinner. In those days just killing a chicken was easy with one chop of the axe or hatchet -- we used whichever was handy. But the work started after it has stopped flopping on the ground. It was a long process that ended with the burning of the tiny pin feathers on the naked chicken. Mom would hold it over the flames in the cooking stove and burn them off. I don't know what became of the hatchet but we did use the axe for breaking up lumps of hard coal into smaller pieces to carry in coal buckets into the house to keep the stoves burning.

Scooney Adrift said...

Nice collection. I guess folks don't use them as much as they used to.

Gorges Smythe said...

Guess we all have some "weakness," Mr. Lincoln. :-)

I'd give you one or two if we didn't live so far apart, Brian!

Thanks, Mh.

I bet you wish that you still had them, Mr. Lincoln.

I think the demise of wood cookstoves had something to do with that, Scooney.

Rick Kratzke said...

Never hurts to have a few hatchets and makes for a pretty cool collection.

c w swanson said...

Great post. Made me think of all the various axes and hatchets laying around the place here, and where they all originated. My favorite is the one top right. Lots of good stories it could tell, I'm sure.

Nate McKenzie said...

I like them and "boys axes" a lot. You've got a Nice collection!