Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Spinach From The Can Had To Do

-
This evening, I ate something that I hadn't had in 40 years - cooked spinach. Back then, I hated it, now - I can tolerate it. I eat it whenever I can in salads, but not cooked. Lately, though, the weather and my mowing schedule has kept me from getting any wild greens, so I thought I'd try the tame variety. Even with a big pat of butter and a pinch of salt, they were basically tasteless - and SLIMY! I much prefer wild greens, both for flavor and texture. However, I still have a half-can to eat, and I won't waste them. So, I'll probably have the rest of them in a day or two. I guess I should still eat them when I can't get the real thing, it beats having another handful of cookies!
-

8 comments:

Lamb said...

Take a pat of butter and a couple cloves of minced up garlic. Saute' the garlic and add the spinach and toss with the butter and garlic until hot.
Not as good as fresh spinach, but it'll work!

Sixbears said...

They can the stuff that starts to wilt. Sure that doesn't help the taste. They also can the stuff that starts to die because it's been accidently sprayed with pesticides. Frozen is a better bet.

buddeshepherd said...

bacon grease...

Ralph Goff said...

Canned spinach worked wonders for Popeye the sailor man. Can't say that I have tried it though.

Gorges Smythe said...

Sounds good, Lamb. What's not to love about garlic? :-)

You're really makin' me feel better, Sixbears!

Yeah Budd, everything's better with bacon grease on it!

Yeah, Ralph, I kept waiting for my biceps to puff up, but it was a no-show!

Pumice said...

For me the frozen, chopped variety with enough salt to make it look like a mountain in winter is the ticket. That way I could eat it all day.

Grace and peace.

Gorges Smythe said...

With high blood pressure, I have to be careful with the salt, Pumice, but I get your drift.

Mamahen said...

Seems everyone has an opinion on spinach...my daughter n I love it this way. A can of sinach, a can if evaporated milk, salt n pepper to taste. Makes yummy soup and if you really can't tolerate the texture blend the spinach first until smooth..