Thursday, July 11, 2013

Trying To Get On At Wally World (Again)

-
About five years ago, Wally World was the next-to-last place in town where I tried to apply. Most of you will understand why, though I have nothing against most of the people who work there. At the time, they had computer terminals in the store specifically for job-seekers. Since people would probably steal any mouse they put on them, they used the ball that you roll, instead. It didn’t work worth a hoot. In fact, it didn’t work worth a half-a-hoot. After spending half-an-hour doing what should have taken five minutes, I threw in the towel, figuring that I probably had another hour of technological hell ahead of me.

Today, I thought I’d try it again (yes, things are getting that desperate). The machines are much smaller now, but they work no better. You’d think that a multi-billion dollar international company could have machines that work, but they don’t. I had made some slight progress when I came to the part where you enter a user name and a password. Guess what? I chose an invalid password! Now, the only way that password could have been invalid, was for them to still have my password from my UNCOMPLETED attempt five years ago. OR, someone else with my name may have applied and got into their system. Since I have no idea what password I used five years ago, and had no way of knowing if someone else with my name was in their system, I once again abandoned the idea of working for the morons.

It’s probably for the best. Twelve years of union membership, 10 of which was as a shop steward, and 40 years of self-employment make me disinclined to take much crap, and I hear that they give you a lot. I sort of believe that things happen for a reason, so I will never again apply at Wally World. I just hope that things don’t get so desperate that I end up applying at a telemarketing place again. THAT would be scary! © 2013
-

2 comments:

Chickenmom said...

Maybe they have an application on-line that you could do at home and they could e-mail you your password.

Gorges Smythe said...

Nah, I'm done with 'em, Cm. I only applied in a moment of temporary insanity. If it wasn't for my wife, I'd never darken their door.