Thursday, August 8, 2013

A “Messed-Up” Mess Of Milkweed

-
I picked a pretty good mess of milkweed while the little woman was window-shopping at the craft store. When I got home, I decided to wash them outside, so as to save time spent in “my wife’s” kitchen. I put them in a plastic bucket I’d gotten from the donut shop and gave them a gentle spraying with the garden hose. Then I drained them and refilled the bucket and gave them a few minutes of manual sloshing around.

After draining them again, I switched them to the cooking pot and boiled them lightly for ten minutes. During that ten minutes, my wife was carrying on that I was stinking up the house (they smell like green beans to me), and that she was getting sick from the odor. (It was all in her head, but what can I say?) After a little salt and pepper, plus a generous helping of butter, I started eating. Unfortunately, they weren’t as good as last time. They seemed to have a distinct flavor of chlorine and…….garden hose! Guess I won’t do THAT anymore.

Unfortunately, I had to promise the wife that I wouldn’t cook them inside the house anymore, so I need to get some lose bricks and throw up a little outside cooker. If I’m going to that much effort, I really should get a smaller pot and a frying pan. Maybe I’ll start up a TV show and call it “Redneck Gourmet!” © 2013
-

6 comments:

Kathy Felsted Usher said...

The tv show would be great! Maybe you could do a blog about it and get sponsorship from outdoor cooking utensils, pots, etc. manufacturers!

Sunnybrook Farm said...

I never knew you could eat milkweed, I let patches of it grow in the field for the monarch butterflies that pass through here in the fall. No animals will eat milkweed, just the caterpillars.

Gorges Smythe said...

D'ya think I'd hafta shave, Kathy?

Just eat the broad-leafed ones, SF, narrower-leaved ones may be black indian hemp, which is said to be poisonous. The leaves, green flower buds and pods are all edible if caught at their proper time. You should be able to find more info online.

Pumice said...

Until you start your TV program, how about a regular feature on the blog with adventures in redneck cooking?

You could have saved me time in my adventures with dried beans, grits and coffee.

Grace and peace.

Mamahen said...

Pitch the idea to pbs or wtap...I know you have the gift of gab ;))

Gorges Smythe said...

You wouldn't want my coffee, Pumice, since I don't drink the stuff!

You know me entirely too well for someone I've never met, Mh!