Thursday, August 1, 2013

Aunt Marie Was Right

-
I went to the neighbor’s place today to ask for some scrap (used) baling twine. I need it to tie up my two tomato plants and for a couple other projects. Being summer, he didn’t have much, but he gave me what he had. Poor folk’s farms used to be largely held together with baling wire. When the old stationary balers went the way of the dinosaur, we had to use the twine from the pull-behind balers to hold our fences and equipment together. With round bales and plastic twine taking over, even that is changing. Never did I dream that the day would come that we didn’t have cattle, or that baling twine would be a scarce commodity.

When taking a ride this afternoon, my wife and I were discussing how the farms were all growing up. You can’t see across the hills like in the days of our youth because of that change in land use, so the views are less panoramic than they used to be. Most of the old farmers we knew are dead, and there basically ARE no young farmers in our area. These days, living in the country means living in the woods. I like the woods, but I miss those views across the hills.

It’s been six months since I’ve had a job; at one time, there was plenty of work in the area. I was shocked the other day when a personnel manager actually returned my call, despite having no work for me. He was only the second person in six months to do so. So much for consideration and good manners.

My Great Aunt Marie always used to tell me that “time changes things.” How right she was! © 2013
-

6 comments:

Angela said...

There are still a few farms around where I live but not many. The real farms are the farms of older folks who once they pass will probably grow up. When they bale our hay they use the round ones. They do use some kind of twine but we don't really find any extra in the field. Not sure if they go back and gather any extra up or what. Sorry there still aren't any jobs in your area. If you lived in the Charleston area you might could get a job at Lowe's or something like that.

Sixbears said...

First of all, I'm sorry your job search has been so unproductive -so far. Tomorrow is a new day.

One of the things giving farming a small boost around here is a popular farmer's market. I never knew there were so many little farms in our area. Some are new ventures. Mostly they are part time operations, but I'm glad people are growing things.

Having a market makes all the difference.

There are the remains of whole towns that were abandoned here in NH when the western lands opened up. Not having to deal with trees and boulders was a huge attraction.

NH has a lot more forest today than it did in Colonial times.

Mamahen said...

Your Aunt Marie was wise for sure. Sending prayers and positive thoughts up for your interview tomorrow. :))

Gorges Smythe said...

As it is, Angela, I could drive an hour in ANY direction and find work easier. It's really dead around here. Thanks for your concern.

I'll find something, Sixbears, it's just a matter of time. We have a lot of rocks in my area, too, and a LOT of hillsides!

Thanks, Mh! Bless you!

Chickenmom said...

Hay is expensive even around here in farm country. In the summer it is $4.00 a bale. In the dead of winter in can go as high as $5.75. The bales seem to be shorter than they used to be. And yes, I save all the twine. 'Hope your interview went well, Gorges.

Gorges Smythe said...

Glad I don't have to buy any, Cm; I remember selling it for 50 cents! The interview went fine, but he has three more to do.