Thursday, August 15, 2013

It’s A Different World

-
Back when I was young, if you wanted a job, you could get one. It’s not so easy these days, especially for a fat old hillbilly only a few years from retirement age. I had too lousy of a job for too long to dress decently, plus too many years of sitting on my backside at work has “broadened my horizons” to where the decent clothes I once had were “outgrown” along the way. Also, when I was young, the people running the personnel departments were middle-age and older. Now, they seem to be nearly children. I believe I told you sometime in the past about an interviewer I had a few years ago. He was unshaven, his hair hadn’t seen a comb that day, he was wearing shoes with no socks, Bermuda shorts, a print shirt, and he was rude, arrogant and gave the over-all appearance that he was a beach-bum recovering from an all-night party. I was tempted to turn him over my knee like the two-year-old he was acting like, but was afraid he might have enjoyed it.

I drove a straight-frame truck, off and on, for over 20 years, but now, I can’t get a CDL unless I prove that I’m BRIGHT enough to drive a truck and then borrow someone’s truck to take the driving part of the test. Yet our country is filled with Mexican and A-rab drivers that can’t even read the road signs. (I know, I’ve spoken to a few of them, and they can’t really speak the language either.)

A lot of companies now hire through either government or private job-service programs. Very few seem to feel the need to see anyone face-to-face until the last interview stage. I can remember the day that you could walk in off the street, and if you had the right attitude, you could be hired on the spot. Those days are forever gone. Companies are run like government bureaucracies these days.

I complimented a fellow for returning my call the other day. He was only the SECOND person in SIX MONTHS to do so. In my day, that wasn’t only considered good manners, it was part of the job.

I had an interview recently, and due to being out of the loop for a while, forgot to send the requisite “thank you” note on my way home. The guy was to let me know the outcome by the middle of the next week so, since I wasn’t sure it would get there before his decision, I chose not to send it the next day, either (bad decision). Now, I consider the middle of the week to be closing time on Wednesday. So, when I hadn’t heard from him by the end of the day Thursday, I called. He wasn’t there, but a co-worker of his promised to let him know I’d called. (Who knows?) He hadn’t returned my call by closing time Friday, so I called back. He was with a customer, but the young lady who answered the phone responded to the affirmative when I asked if the position had been filled. It’s now Thursday again and I never DID hear from him, so in my book, that makes the man a liar. Maybe the Lord was protecting me from working for a jerk.

I know ONE thing; it’s not the world I grew up in! © 2013
-

10 comments:

Sunnybrook Farm said...

I know what you are saying, and I can assure you that it is legal to discriminate based on age, I was even told by a personnel person that she was told not to hire anyone over 40. Roanoke VA had a job fair a couple years ago for people under 40. I think I get the message, bad enough to be over 40 but forget being over 50 around here. Glad we have all of that hope and change.

Chickenmom said...

Hubby had to take an early retirement when his company moved down South. He worked there as a machinist for 35 years. The only work he could find until we moved was as a school bus driver. He did that for 8 years. Might be something for you to look into.

Scooney Adrift said...

It's all changed, and not for the better, but you have to keep on plugging away. Surely some one out there will recognize what you have to offer.
Jumping through the hoops at a job interview was never one of my favorite things, but I fooled a few of them along the way!

Gorges Smythe said...

Yeah, SF, it's that hope and change that keeps me going! ;-)

I've actually considered it, Cm.

Plugging is what I do best, Scooney. I figure it's not a matter of IF, but a matter of WHEN.

Pumice said...

I was talking with a man in our church who has been out of work for about two months. He is a highly trained, management level machinist with lots of experience and a great attitude. He was sharing some of these same frustrations. Everything is on line. There are no walk ins anymore. It is totally automated.

Being out of work in this current culture is a genuine trial. My prayer go with you.

Grace and peace.

Gorges Smythe said...

Thanks, Pumice; I appreciate that prayer.

Brian said...

I once walked in off the street into a timber engineering plant. where I was promptly whisked around and asked when I could start I started a week later as I had a lunatic boss at the time and eager to leave his outfit. So I started there and happily worked for nearly two years until I could get back to the woods . After I left I was asked to go back a couple of times and carrots were dangled . But I was back where I was meant to be. 16 years down the road could I do the same nowadays maybe but it would take a week or two not just a morning and now they tell you the salary not ask you. Nice post Gorges :)

Gorges Smythe said...

I've said before that I started to die the day I left the woods, Brian, and I'm not meaning just my spirit, but my body, as well. God never intended us to do a lot of the things that many of us are forced to do these days. I'm glad you made your way back!

They call me Moe! said...

I know exactly what you're talking about.

13 months and counting...

stay strong friend

-Moe

Gorges Smythe said...

You too, Moe. I'll pray that the Lord sends you something that's the right fit.