Sunday, August 18, 2013

Rainy Day

-
It was raining before dawn when I put the dog out for the first time today. She doesn’t like the rain, so wasn’t happy about me taking her out in such a mess. I went back to bed. I was up at nine to visit the little room at the foot of the stairs, and it was still raining. My wife was still asleep from being up half the night, so I lay down once again. I got up again about 11, and my wife was still snoozing. I went online and checked my blog and Facebook page for visitors and answered a few comments, plus looked up a few things I’d been curious about. I also saved a few articles of interest, and put them in the appropriate files.

Finally, I went downstairs and put the dog out again, though she showed no interest in doing so. She was down a while, so I think she was putting off letting us know that she needed to go, since she could still hear the rain outside. After she did her thing, I sat in the porch swing and she lay by my feet as I watched the rain and listened to the sound of the drops hitting the forest leaves only 30 feet away. It reminded me of when I lived at home and I’d sit on the old metal glider on the back porch, or on a hay bale in the barn and watch the rain come down. I usually had a dog at my feet back then, too. If it was in the barn, sometimes my dad was with me and we’d talk about this and that and the old days. We talked a lot about the old days, Actually, I guess I mostly asked questions and HE talked about the old days. I miss those times.

One of the early Chinese philosophers said that water is the gentlest and most powerful force on earth. I think one of our Native American chiefs from the 19th century said something similar. Maybe a lot of people have said such things over the years. Solomon said that there was nothing new under the sun. The gentle drops of rain in the highlands sometimes turn into raging, murderous waters that roar their way to the ocean, at times leaving death and destruction behind them. On a slightly less dramatic note, I’m reminded of the song I’ve heard on the Gaithers, “Then The Rains Come.” It’s one of my favorites.

My wife isn’t very thrilled with such days. I believe she may suffer from Seasonal Affective Disorder to some degree, and may be slightly claustrophobic besides. She feels penned up and depressed when there’s no sun and she feels trapped in the house. She gets rather cranky at such times, which adds to her aggravation at our current “poverty.” I sort of enjoyed the day, but she needs some sunshine. I need a job; six months of togetherness is about five months too much. It’s a shame Utah can’t get some of this rain; they’re desperate for it. It’s supposed to rain again tomorrow. I guess we’ll cross that bridge when we come to it (if it isn’t washed out). © 2013
-

7 comments:

Sunnybrook Farm said...

We always said that you can fight fire but you need to get out of the way of water as you can't do much with it.
Our dog seems to like rain and walks in all the puddles. I don't like it as all my boots leak. The rain filled up half a bucket so I have had enough of it.

Sixbears said...

I spent two years out of work too sick to even drive. Why my lovely wife didn't strangle me in my sleep in a mystery.

Mamahen said...

I loved today! I usually enjoy a rainy day, though I can understand to some degree your wifes feelings as I tend to get a bit testy in the winter when the snow and ice has kept me housebound for awhile, and I know it would be nearly impossible to get out.

Gorges Smythe said...

You've got a point about the fire and water, SF. Our little Dachshund would wade every puddle too, if we'd let her.

I'm sure it took everything she had, Sixbears! lol

Well, her problems are always compounded by the fact that she has to live with ME, Mh!:-)

buddeshepherd said...

We don't want to see the "R" word until the baling is done. 80 degrees here and Monday will be a sunny day.

Ralph Goff said...

I don't mind a rainy day. It means I don't have to feel guilty about sitting around and not working so hard.

Gorges Smythe said...

I felt the same way when I was on the farm, Ralph!