Monday, August 5, 2013

Tidbits Of The Day

-
Last night, the lady brought us the monthly payment for the house we sold them a few years ago. I took it to their bank first thing this morning and it wasn’t any good. She’ll make it right tomorrow, but why do some people operate in a constant state of carelessness? I’d already learned NOT to deposit her checks. We’d wanted to pick up some groceries, but will have to wait a day now.

I picked up five items when I got home and took them to an antique dealer. I did okay on three, but got ripped off on two. Oh well, it was stuff I’d planned to get rid of anyway, and it DID put some cash in my pocket.

Since the deer have discovered my Jerusalem artichokes behind their four-foot fence, I rigged up a couple tires for growing pursley and put a piece of hardware cloth over it so the deer would have to step on the wire to reach the ‘chokes. On the other side, I just put a piece of the screen so it would gouge them if they rubbed against it. It seemed to work last night anyway.

My most recent round of poverty has given me an epiphany; baked-bean sandwiches are pretty good!

I posted the graduation ceremony program from the year my father graduated on a local history site today. I was surprised how many of the names on the list of graduates I was familiar with. Most are dead, of course.

We gave the dog a bath tonight, then watched her roll and stretch and roll for probably twenty minutes on the two bath towels my wife had put down for her. When she finished, she was so worn out that she’s slept all evening.

Guess that’s it for now; hope all is well in your world. © 2013
-

8 comments:

Chickenmom said...

Hubby always ate bean sandwiches - even long ago when we were both working. He just loves 'em!

Gorges Smythe said...

My wife likes green-bean sandwiches, Cm, and has since she was a kid.

Pumice said...

Let me guess, you didn't charge a late fee or any penalty for the bounced check, right? You are still doing things the way my dad did when he was self employed. That is why he would get eaten alive in business today. Consider it your job to educate this lady and put a fee on her irresponsibility.

Grace and peace.

Mamahen said...

I'm sorry you are having to play the "cash flow" game! It's not my favorite form of entertainment, tho we play it often. I could have told you about the bean sandwiches green,navy, baked it's all good. As kids growing up, after dishes were done in the evening? We could have whatever leftovers we wanted for a snack along as it was on bread n didn't "dirty up" the kitchen with dishes. So since meat was limited we usually had veggies left over we ate bean sandwiches mashed potato sandwiches leftover spaghetti, cole slaw whatever we could hold on our bread lol. I would suggest the green bean, mashed potato combo !))

Gorges Smythe said...

Pumice, there's no late fee until it's overdue by five days. Plus, they can lose their $100 yearly discount for on-time payment if the money isn't available when I normally cash the check the next day after the regular due date. They brought the cash this morning, though, so they saved their discount by the skin of their teeth. I know not to deposit their check and take a chance on a charge myself, so no, I didn't charge them any fee. If things continue this way, I believe I have the right in this state to charge a fee, though, even though it's not in the contract.

Mh, my great aunt used to eat a lot of mashed potato sandwiches, and my wife sometimes used to do the potato/green-bean combo, though I've never tried it (yet).

Scooney Adrift said...

I hope hard times will go away from your door....soon.

Gorges Smythe said...

I'm sure they will, Scooney; thanks.

Kathy Felsted Usher said...

My dad always ate baked bean sandwiches and he would butter the bread first. I would like to start the Jerusalem artichokes here since I hear they grow and grow no matter what. Is yours a certain variety that you know of? I know very little about them so would like to pick a good variety if there are choices.