Saturday, September 7, 2013

Foraging Notebook

-
Some hunters keep notebooks. So do some prospectors and trappers. Let's face it, the human mind can use a little reminding sometimes, especially as we get older. That's why I decided to start a forager's notebook. As you can see, I'm starting in the front with illustrations of areas that I'm sometimes around that have wild foods and such available, numbering them as I go. Not only will this remind me of places to look for food, but also transplants, when I want to add to my personal "garden." (We won't get into legalities here.) I used Google earth to have an image in front of me to make sketching easier but, obviously, you wouldn't have to.

Starting in the back, I'm putting one type of plant on each page and working forward, LETTERING each page. I'll only add plants as I actually find them. The numbers and letters will allow me to cross-reference. I can't keep them alphabetical, though, without using a loose-leaf binder, and I didn't want to do that. I got my wires crossed and used numbers for the plants at first, but I'll change that to strictly letters, so the plant ID and the page they're on correspond. Just thought I'd throw the idea out there in case anyone's interested. Click the image to enlarge it. (I haven't labeled the illustration yet, to protect MY privacy and the landowners.)



-

4 comments:

Chickenmom said...

What a great idea! I think everyone should know their surroundings a whole lot better than they do now. Just might come in very handy some day!

Sunnybrook Farm said...

If you remind me this winter, I will send you a couple of roots of chickasaw plum that you can plant somewhere nearby. They will eventually form a grove and attract wildlife and have good native plums.

Pumice said...

Now you will need to remember where you put your notebook. I make lists but then forget about them, but I am older than you.

Grace and peace.

Gorges Smythe said...

That's what I'm thinking, Cm.

That would be wonderful, SF, IF I can keep the deer away from them!

Sometimes, you're just no help at all, Pumice! ;-)