Thursday, September 12, 2013

Nothing Important

-
A soft maple in my side yard is already turning color and shedding leaves. My Jerusalem artichokes are blooming and my lonely hill of potatoes is fading fast. I’m seeing through the woods easier than a month ago, so that means fall’s a-comin’.

Today, at their request, I re-applied and sat through an interview at the company where I don’t want to work. 12 hour shifts would be horribly hard on a 58-year-old blubber-butt. I’m hoping the woman who interviewed me will have sense enough not to hire me, but I shudder to say that the interview seemed to go very well. I’m even going to be a gentleman and send her a “thank you” card for the interview, though I may be cutting my own throat by doing so.

The other evening, my wife and I were watching one of those “reality shows” about Amish kids making their escape. We cracked up when one valley-girl type “Amish” girl professed to have no idea what butter milk was. Yeah, that’s reality alright!

I don’t know about you, but I have more respect for Putin these days than for Obama, and Putin should be shot. Sorta gives you a clue where Obama stands with me, I guess.

It’s much cooler here tonight, after a couple small thunderstorms today. They SAY it’s supposed to stay this way a while. I hope they’re right.

We’ve been trying to sell a few things in our local buy-sell-trade paper, but so far, we’ve just been getting folks that are so “unserious” that they shouldn’t even waste their own time by calling, let alone ours. I guess it’s just a form of entertainment for them.

I saw where they recalled a couple anti-gun state senators in Colorado. We need recall here in West Virginia; so far, it’s only for cities here, and maybe only for those which have chosen to have it.

Gotta go, but I’m sure you’ll be waiting with bated breath for my next exciting installment. © 2013
-

10 comments:

Mamahen said...

Lol yep...I know what you mean about the leaves. This is the time of year when we start to be able to see the road from our living room window. We rather enjoy not being able to. The cooler weather is nice but I dread the winter heat bills. I usually get a bit down this time of the year..on one hand the colors are spectacular...on the other hand, winter seems to loom so close and seem never ending!

Gorges Smythe said...

I know what you mean about winter, Mh!

Chickenmom said...

Our trees are turning also, but I don't mind. Autumn is the best time of the year. Don't know whether to congratulate you or not on the job interview. 12 hours is a long shift.
But then again, at least it IS an income and you can start to save some money again. Here in Jersey if you refuse a job offer, you loose unemployment benefits.

Sunnybrook Farm said...

Putin just doesn't realize how intelligent Obama is, probably doesn't listen to our media.
The guy finally got our backup heat repaired yesterday, the tank is filled and the wood pile is full and there is a chill in the air this morning.
Always eat a huge bowl of garlic and pinto beans before going to an interview you don't want.

Gorges Smythe said...

Fall is my favorite time of year too, Cm. As for the job, I wouldn't have blinked 20 years ago, but this ol' bod has seen a lot of abuse in 20 years! I don't think I have the luxury of refusing here, either, so they're suddenly throwing all sorts of horrible jobs at me after months of doing NOTHING.

You're probably right about Putin. Congrats on the woodpile. Good point on the interview! :-)

deborah harvey said...

don't turn away from the job. it could lead to good things.
also does a 12 hour shift mean full-time is only 3 days one week and 4 days the alternate week? sounds like a good thing.
deb harvey

Gorges Smythe said...

I really CAN'T turn it down, dh, but I'd feel a whole lot better about it if I was 20 years younger and 150 pounds lighter!

Scooney Adrift said...

Temp never got much above eighty here on the ridge today. Worked in the yard most of the day, and this is one tired ol' geezer tonight!
No leaves even beginning to show any color yet, but I know winter will be here before we know it, then I'm stuck in the house.
I know what you mean about jobs you really didn't want, but got anyway. Maybe you won't have to be on your feet for all of the shift.
Yep, I'm waiting for your next blog!

Gorges Smythe said...

You're right, Scooney, the bad thing about fall is that winter follows. I'm prayingfor the Lord's will on the job. Thanks for being one of my faithful followers.

Kathy Felsted Usher said...

I was wondering how many days a week too because although long, you may have more free time with 12 hr shifts. I know there's not a lot of choices out there right now so you could take it and then jump if something better comes along. If they don't want you to leave they may raise the pay.

A husband of one of the girls I work with (in St Louis, not the country)got laid off and has a temporary job rounding up hundreds of free range chickens and packing them into trucks that are taking them for processing. She said you grab their legs and wind them around your fingers and should be carrying 5 at a time. What a job!