Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Slight Prepping Progress

-
I finally found my knife box in the basement and put my “knife collection” back where it belonged. That freed up the large ammo box I had been keeping them in temporarily, so I can now use it to put some emergencies items in the truck. I gathered up several things like matches, a magnifying glass, four-way spigot wrench, multi-tool, pen-knife, etc. and put in it, but there’s a lot more stuff I need to add. I think it will fit behind the rear seat okay. I also ordered a folding shovel from the Chinese Emporium, of all places, to serve as my “stealth foraging shovel.” There should be room for it, my pistol and a goodly bunch of roots in a three-compartment military shoulder bag I have. Some places, I’d hesitate to take the pistol, so I’ll have to depend on my cane as a weapon if need be, I guess.
-

10 comments:

Sunnybrook Farm said...

You need to convert an old single shot .410 into a walking cane, now that would ruin a mugger's day.

Sixbears said...

Any progress is good progress. Considering most people don't think about this stuff at all, you are way ahead of the pack.

Gorges Smythe said...

I'd love to if it was legal, SF, but even with my carry permit, it isn't.

Well, Sixbears, I've got a lot of things already in the truck, as far as tools, tire chains and a tarp and such, but I'm lacking on the small items. You're right, though, I probably am ahead of a lot of folks, thanks for the encouragement.

Angela said...

I think everybody should be prepared but unfortunately most people just live day by day without giving it any thought at all. Glad to hear that you are getting everything together like you want it. I have been trying to get the food stuff taken care of. I'm hoping that Krogers or WM will have the Green Giant canned foods on sale again for .50 a can like they usually do around Thanksgiving. I'll let you know if and when I find that sale!

Mamahen said...

I get a lot of helpful hints on here! Thanks for reminding us that we all need to be prepared.

Gorges Smythe said...

Thanks, Angela, I'd appreciate that.

You're welcome, Mh, and I appreciate your comments.

Chickenmom said...

Don't forget a roll of steel wool to use as a fire starter, an extra pair of gloves and socks, a few candles & lighter, a spoon and fork, small first aid kit, fishing line & hooks, tp, an extra pair of glasses, aspirin, toothbrush, plastic bags, some type of hard candy and the good book.

Gorges Smythe said...

Good suggestions all, Cm! I have a few of those items, but need more.

Keith H. Burgess said...

Good post.
Keith.

Gorges Smythe said...

Thanks, you must prefer short ones, Keith! ;-)