Monday, September 2, 2013

The “Right-To-Work”

-
Tomorrow, I’m basically being forced, by our state unemployment office, to apply for a job that usually runs 12-hour shifts, and often forces their workers to work more than 40 hours a week. That’s not so bad if you’re young. Many of the younger folks want and NEED the extra hours. However, it’s not so great if you’re like me—severely overweight and approaching 60 years old. Even eight hours of standing on concrete is too much for me to handle these days. My weight is my own fault; my age is something that I have no control over. If I don’t apply, I could lose my disgustingly inadequate unemployment benefits.

Don’t get me wrong, I’ve worked all my life and wish to continue working, but I feel that I should have the right to decline at least SOME jobs that I know will further wreck my health. Unemployment is an INSURANCE that I and my employers have paid into, but the government acts like it’s some sort of welfare. Now, this is in a state that doesn’t have any “right-to-work” laws, and where unions still have at least a tiny bit of influence. IMAGINE what things would be like if such laws would pass in a state like this!

Proponents of such legislation like to point to the fact that states that have right-to-work have a lower rate of unemployment. I have to wonder if those same states might not have lower unemployment anyway. Plus, I’m curious just how many of those jobs are like the one that I’m being forced to apply for—low pay and forced long hours.

A lot of folks feel that it’s alright to let workers work in union shops without being union members. At one time, I may have felt likewise, since I was once rather anti-union. However, having been in a union for twelve years, when I worked at the factory, I’ve learned a few things along the way. The first is that any company that HAS a union, probably DESERVED a union, or they wouldn’t have gotten one. Union organizers have little luck with employees who think they are payed decently and treated well. Corrupt unions (and let’s face it, they’re ALL corrupt) are only made necessary by corrupt companies.

 Not everyone realizes, either, that right-to-work laws always force the union to represent the non-union workers, the same as if they were dues-paying members. No moral person, and certainly no Christian, can honestly think that is a proper situation, since the non-member gives neither moral nor financial support to the union, and would work as a scab if there was a strike. In fact, I believe that such laws could very easily lead to violence in the workplace.

Hundreds of men, women AND EVEN CHILDREN have literally DIED to bring us eight hour days and 40 hour weeks. They were murdered by government troops, company goons and armed guards. We are gradually giving those things up in the name of job security.  If you want to know more about the cost paid by our forefathers for decent workplaces, read the book “When Miners Marched.”

Also, the politicians and big corporations of this country have encouraged illegal immigration into this country for the very same reason that the large California farmers of John Steinbeck’s era deliberately encouraged Okies to move to California for non-existent jobs—TO DRIVE DOWN WAGES! If you support “right-to-work” legislation, you’re helping the millionaire class to further destroy the ability of the working class to support their families.

Slavery is slowly returning to this continent the way it is; it doesn’t need YOUR help! Please speak out AGIANST “right-to-work” legislation. © 2013
-

7 comments:

Mamahen said...

Praying God's protection and will for you in this matter!

Gorges Smythe said...

Thanks, Mh, and may God bless you.

Sixbears said...

First of all, good luck with your unemployment situation.

NH is not a right-to-work state, and our unemployment is consistently below national levels.

We call right-to work: right to work for less. Wages are always lower in RtoW states.

We've been in a race to the bottom, and that's going to be "won" by the world's worse places. Is that what we really want our of life? I don't think so.

Angela said...

Well, let's just pray that you don't get the job! Maybe they won't hire you but I don't know what they would force you to do after that though... I really don't know much of anything about unemployment at all.

Gorges Smythe said...

Thanks, Sixbears. And I think a LOT of folks call it that. Oh well, the nation's problems will all be solved when McDonald's starts paying $15 an hour! ;-)

The problem is, Angela if they canned me soon afterward, I'd probably have to open a new claim and get almost nothing! Thanks for your prayers!

deborah harvey said...

it is possible that the place may give you part-time, which would be good. my child is very ill and gets a little food stamps which helps us have enough to buy her medicines, thanks to God.
we pay taxes so i don't feel guilty about the food stamps.

i've been praying a job for you.
this may be God opening a door for you. go in with a positive mood and see what happens.
love in Jesus,
deb harvey

Gorges Smythe said...

Thanks for your prayers, deborah, and may God bless you for your concern. I guess we'll see what happens!