Thursday, September 26, 2013

Thursday Thoughts

-
I got a letter from my doctor a couple days ago. He says he’s no longer going to make rounds at the hospital anymore, but let their hospitaler take care of his patients, instead. I’m sure the hospital is pushing for more control (and therefore more money), but it will probably also let my doctor make more money with less bother. Of course, It’s really all just to “better serve his patients,” according to his letter. An interesting note – I can’t find any online reference to hospitalers, except for knights of old and Dungeons and Dragons, even though I’ve been hearing of them for five years. I even tried different spellings!
I got the lawn mowed Tuesday. The miniature fox-tail and fall-grass were so lush that the job looked clumpy, even though the grass felt perfectly dry when I mowed it. While mowing, I noticed that the confounded deer had climbed up against my rail fence to break down a couple of my Jerusalem artichokes and eat the leaves off the stalks. I hope those plants already have their tubers made for the year. I wish my wife would eat venison. We could thin the destructive devils and save grocery money, as well. Incidentally, the grammar check on my computer says I should have said that I MOVED my grass, rather than MOWED it. Are computer programs set up by complete idiots?

I need to cut a dead white oak in my front yard. I’ll make it into both logs and firewood. I’ll sell the firewood and saw the logs. I don’t have much more to do on my chainsaw sawmill base, so I’ll soon be able to put the metal on it and try it out. My first batch of lumber will go to build a small tool shed; probably 8x12.
I did a little scouting while my wife was window-shopping yesterday and found a place where I can dig some poke roots to start me a patch.

I heard yesterday that the IRS can only withhold your refund as a penalty for not having Obamacare, not come after you for the money. Currently, I don’t even have enough income to live on; I certainly won’t be getting any insurance. I guess I need to plan it so I have to pay a little income tax, rather than get any back. Maybe that dream I once had will come true! I once joked that I wanted to leave nothing behind when I croaked except an empty wallet and a letter to the IRS that starts out, “About that money I owe you…”
I got a letter from the sheriff in the mail today saying that the people whose mortgage I hold (from selling my old homeplace) are about to lose their house to a tax sale over a measly $283. Some people are SO irresponsible! They should know that you pay your bills first and THEN go buy lottery tickets! I’ll have to give them a phone call, I guess, and get them on the stick.

Another stink-bug just flew in the window as I typed the last paragraph. They seem to be pests everywhere around here this year. Watch out for them, they can give you a nasty chemical burn if you happen to pinch them inside an elbow or shirt collar.
We tried Burger King’s new “Satisfries” today. We were completely UN-satisfried. They seemed under-cooked and soggy. Maybe they just rushed them. I’ll give them another try before I swear them off for life, but I’m not going to hold my breath. Very few “new and improved” things are actually improved at all. It’s probably just a way to save on fry oil.

A lady from Pakistan wanted me to friend her on Facebook the other day. She shared some Christian friends that I already have, so I “friended” her. It turns out that she and her husband have a ministry there in Pakistan, so I’m sure she was planning to hit me up for funding. I wish I could help, but there’s no way to check on the legitimacy of the ministry, and I have no extra money anyway, being currently unemployed, so I let her know the latter very quickly. I can pray for her and her family and their ministry. That doesn’t cost anything!
Well, time to go outside and tinker a bit. Hope you folks have a pleasant day. © 2013
-

4 comments:

Sunnybrook Farm said...

I haven't been to burger king in a while as the one here doesn't have very good service, let us know about the fries, if they are the most wonderful thing ever, I will try them.
I have been cutting weeds, nice afternoon to be out working.

Gorges Smythe said...

If the next batch is no better than this one, I won't be getting anymore, SF!

Kathy Felsted Usher said...

I love venison, if it's prepared correctly. We substitute most ground beef recipes with it and I especially love tacos! I don't like the gristle and fat we get with the ground beef.

Gorges Smythe said...

I like it, too, Kathy. Unfortunately, my wife has decided that she doesn't. If I had an extra freezer, I'd be eating it anyway.