Monday, October 14, 2013

A Little Scouting, A Little Prepping

-
 I took the opportunity today to do a little scouting while the wife shopped. I found a place near where hundreds of people go every day that I can get poke plants and raspberry plants to transplant (or pick the usable parts in season). I also located another little pocket of cattails where I can reach the heads when they're in season. You want to pick cattail heads when they're still green and about the size of a slightly oversize pencil.

I used to carry my dad's old army blanket in the truck, but I loaned it to a neighbor who was in a wreck, and she moved without bringing it back. SO, I also snuck in a nearby store today and got a couple $3 space blankets for the truck and a pair of $3 Vietnamese by-pass shears for cutting the plant tops off roots that I want to transplant. As I've said before, prepping isn't always about widespread catastrophes; sometimes it's just about being a "Good Samaritan." My purchases are below.

-

12 comments:

Chickenmom said...

Never ate cattails or 'punks' as we call them here. We cut them down in the fall when they are brown & hang them upside down in the garage until dried. The following summer, we burn them to keep the skeeters away. It really works as they make a lot of smoke.(and they do stink!). Once you smell them you never forget that scent. Always reminds me of long, hot summer evenings.

Gorges Smythe said...

You told me about that before, Cm, I'll have to try it.

Crystal Mary said...

Good buys, both of them. You are always one to be prepared, so am I.. I just got myself a new little torch for my keyring.

Sunnybrook Farm said...

I tried burning cat tails but the cats made too much noise. Anyway, I wish you were closer, I could fix you up with poke and berry bushes. Too bad you don't eat turnips as we have loads of wild ones.

Lady Locust said...

I always love SF's comments:) My clippers are just like that but shot. I have used them for years - perfect size and strong.

21shergar said...

That's a mighty fine pair of secateurs, Gorges. Mine have gone walkabout - I think that means my fifteen year old son has borrowed them and then lost them...

Mamahen said...

Were you on the wrong side of river again when you found these?

Gorges Smythe said...

I don't have any on my keyring, Crystal, but I've gat a few stashed here and there.

If I recall what "wild turnips"usually alludes to, SF, I believe they'd be too hot for me.

Well, shergar, I've learned a new word today!

No, Mh, but I was over there today!

Mamahen said...

What a shame we missed each other again.

Kev Alviti said...

I get accused of being a prepper sometimes. It doesn't hurt to be prepared for everything!
I love scouting out plants in other places that I can use or harvest as well. I always make a mental note if I find a crab apple tree or a wild hop vine, never know when you might want one!

Scooney Adrift said...

Those old army blankets would keep you warm on a winter night! A good wool blanket will cost a pretty penny today, if you can find one!
Those shears look like a pretty good buy for $3.00.

Gorges Smythe said...

Yeah, Mh, we're just like two ships passing in the night! Actually, with my wife, it's always a spur of the moment thing, so there's no way to make plans.

Remember the Boy Scout motto, Kev!

Yeah, Scooney, I've priced 'em at Sportsman's Guide. they only have one style that's 100% wool, and it's used foreign military for 435 or so. Don't even THINK about a new Hudson Bay! It IS hard to go wrong for $3; I don't even know if there are any shears MADE in this country anymore.