Monday, October 7, 2013

I Miss My Knees!

-
We never think about getting old when we’re young. If we do think of it, we see ourselves in 20-year-old bodies, but with grey hair. My hair is pretty good shape, though my forehead is very slightly taller than it once was. My body is a different story. Most of my problems are my own fault; I was stocky, but muscular for many years, but now I’m a hopeless blubber-butt. The muscles now sag from too many years of non-work “work,” too.

I hurt one knee several years ago running from hornets. Great leaps through the woods, triple-axels and pirouettes are tough on an aging over-weight body. I don’t remember which knee it was now; they seem to hurt by turns, though the left one has learned a new trick recently. It feels like the knee-cap divides down the middle and tries to open like a sliding door. Not fun.

Old Arthur Rightus is no help; he keeps moving around over my body, sometimes claiming more than one home at a time. He’s especially annoying when he moves into my feet or knees, though. I can’t do some simple things anymore, like climb a ladder and clean the gutters, or easily carry something heavy up or down the stairs.


What bothers me the most, though, is the effect on my prayer life. I used to spend a lot of time on my knees before the Lord. I can’t do that these days without a lot of pain. If I try it, getting back on my feet is very painful and slow. I hate that, the Lord deserves better than someone sitting on their backside when they talk to Him. © 2013
-

7 comments:

Chickenmom said...

Arthur is a most unwelcomed guest here too. I'm quite sure the Lord doesn't care if you kneel, sit or stand. He would hear you if you stood on your head - don't worry about it!

Gorges Smythe said...

Thanks, I reckon He doesn't, Cm, but I still feel like a prideful fellow for not trying harder to get on my knees. I still make it once in a while, but I pay for it when I do.

Scooney Adrift said...

Time sure does take it's toll on all of us. I still have a hard time telling myself that some tasks are out for me. The doctor says know your limitations, but that 20 year old mind is hard to convince! I think CM is right about prayer.

Gorges Smythe said...

I think you're right on both counts, Scooney.

Crystal Mary said...

Knees.. well, after the age of fifty the cells in the cartlidge stops replenishing and gradually, bone rubs on bone. There is help for this. It comes in one capsule of glucosamine and chondroitin. Here is the info for you and it does work. I took it myself all the time until my knee replacement. I suffered a bad fall that injured my knee when I was sixty two.
http://orthopedics.about.com/cs/supplements/a/glucosamine.htm

Crystal Mary said...

I forgot to say you should be able to buy the capsules from Walmart...the liquid is best and starts working after about 3 days, but too sweet for diabetics.

Gorges Smythe said...

I'm afraid I can't afford it right now, Crystal, but when I find work, I'll look into it.