Monday, October 7, 2013

Prepping Ain’t Just For Catastrophes

-
The water company is flushing the lines today, so our water is going on and off. I live on a ridge full of dry holes, so well-water isn’t an option. As a result, we drink bottled water and use city water for everything else. So, we have plenty of drinking water, but the commode won’t flush and we don’t dare shower, for fear we’ll lose pressure just after lathering up. Over an extended outage, I know all about hauling water, having done it for several years. Today, we just fill some containers when the pressure is up so we’ll have some water on hand when they’re at a hydrant letting ‘er rip. I REALLY SHOULD put in some rain barrels; it rained all last night. Growing up, I didn’t know very many people who DIDN’T have a rain barrel. Sometimes, prepping is about the little things. It’s just common sense. © 2013
-

6 comments:

Mary Ann said...

Your are so right, it IS just about common sense! We keep saying we're going to do water barrels here, and next year, I'm going to git 'er done!

Gorges Smythe said...

I've been saying the same thing for a year now, Mary Ann. I need to "git 'er done," too!

Sunnybrook Farm said...

I have carried water up from the spring to flush toilets, I can't seem to get the girls to pee outside. In the old days there was a cistern on the hill which gravity fed to the house and the cistern was filled with a ram pump that pushed spring water up hill by force of the creek water. No electricity involved.

Gorges Smythe said...

Have you considered putting a ram pump back in, SF?

Pumice said...

Maybe the Progressives are further along than I thought. This sounds like a third world country.

Grace and peace.

Gorges Smythe said...

Things ain't good, Pumice!