Thursday, October 3, 2013

Presale Thoughts

-
My wife and I are going to have a yard sale tomorrow; I hope it’s not a complete waste of time. We live five miles from town on a side road, so a lot of city folks may not want to come this far. The last one we had wasn’t worth the effort. We made a little money, but it was about 95 in the shade that day. That was about ten years ago, though, so we finally worked up nerve to try it again. My wife has a lot of T-shirts to sell, a few small appliances and some seasonal decorations. I’ve got some antique knick-knacks and a handful of low-quality tools (I NEVER part with the good ones). I guess we’ll know by dark tomorrow if the sale was a paying proposition.

I had to pay about $1.25 apiece for sale signs this time. That’s a lot higher than ten years ago! I was tempted to buy the sticks to put them on, but they wanted ANOTHER $1.25 apiece for THEM! Since I needed at least ten, and profit disappears in a hurry at that rate, I made my own. I sorted through my hatchet collection and found the most recently sharpened and pointed them up on a log in my back yard. I first just took little sissy cuts and wasn’t doing too well. Then, I reverted to my timbering past, held loosely to the end of the handle and did with one full-power stroke what had been taking a half-dozen. The cuts were even more accurate than when I was trying to be more “careful.” Apparently, I’m a wood-CHOPPER, not a wood-CARVER!

I DID finally get the sawmill base frame off the front porch, so my wife was happy for a few seconds. I wanted to do a little trimming around the yard, but I couldn’t find my scythe. Would you say that I need to organize my basement? That’s a small part of why I’m parting with a few things. I’m putting a little dining-room chair frame in the sale that was from the set that my paternal grandparents went to house-keeping with in 1909. I hate to part with it, but if I haven’t restrung it in the last 20 years, I probably won’t in the next 20 either.

On unrelated matters, I took a bar of Irish Spring soap, cut it in thirds and put the pieces in women’s ankle stockings and tied them in our two crepe myrtles and our pink dogwood. The scent will keep the bucks from rubbing their antlers on the bushes (trees?), but it does nothing to keep away the does. In fact, the last time I did that, they tried to EAT the soap, stocking and all!

My lonely potatoe plant refuses to die, so I’m keeping it protected from the deer, still. A guy in town is trying to give away some walnuts, but I don’t know if he sprays his lawn, so I guess I’ll pass. I’m waiting for the first frost now, so I can transplant some poke roots. I’m not wishing for it, though I guess it WOULD get rid of most of these pesky mosquitoes. I here choirs of crickets at night now. My favorite time of year is here, but DARN, it’s always too short!

Guess I’d best go spend a little quality time with the dog and the wife, since I have to hit the hay before long, so I can get up well before dawn tomorrow. That sort of thing is rough on a night-owl! © 2013
-

14 comments:

Sunnybrook Farm said...

Good luck on the sale, we haven't had one in a long time as most of the stuff I have is worn out by the time I can part with it. Not much market for my shirts and pants unless there was a world wide shortage of rags.

Chickenmom said...

Good luck - 'Hope you sell everything for a good price! Soap does work. We have a lot of trouble with herds deer eating everything. They were taking all the buds off my Rose of Sharon trees. I tied pieces of soap on the branches and it kept them away. Looked kind of silly though when the wind blew and all the slivers of soap were swinging in the breeze!

Gorges Smythe said...

Thanks, SF, my clothes are always too worn out to sell, too.

Thanks, Cm.

Mamahen said...

Wish you luck....and good weather :))

Gorges Smythe said...

Thanks, Mh!

buddeshepherd said...

I'll take a couple poke roots. My grandma used to grow it for greens. Of course just about anything tastes good drenched in hot bacon grease.

buddeshepherd said...

I just looked up pokeweed and it is a rather dangerous plant. Grandma used to do something with the stalks but also I remember the leaves boiled up as greens. How do you do it?
This was when i was like 8 years old.

Gorges Smythe said...

If you're serious about the roots, I could send you a couple after frost.

Cathy M. said...

Good Luck on the sale. I can barely keep the poke week out of my landscaping. Why in the world would you want to encourage it? Reminds me of your post about eating thistles. Just in case society collapses, and we return to hunter/ gatherers, I'm all set.

Gorges Smythe said...

Cathy, you KNOW human nature is to want what you don't have! lol - Just for the record, I won't be planting any thistles, I spent too much of my youth cutting them out of the pasture!

Brian said...

I'm sure your yard sale will do well Gorges . Over here we don't have yard sales . We have car boot sales you guy's call these car boots trunks I think. Here parking lots are filled with loads of cars with folding tables and all the goodies piled on or around the tables and hanging from the cars . Hope all goes well :)

Gorges Smythe said...

Thanks, Brian.

Kathy Felsted Usher said...

Good luck with the sale. Our old subdivision used to have a sale one the same day so lots of people would come. One little old lady would wander around and steal things! I think everyone let her because most of the stuff was junk anyway. At the end I'd tell all the kids that they could have free stuff. Their poor parents, now they had my trash!

Gorges Smythe said...

We had a guy try to walk off without paying a few years ago, Kathy, but I don't THINK anyone tried anything this time.