Sunday, November 3, 2013

Omens, Hauntings, Ghosts And Ghouls

-
The other day, I received an interesting message from a Facebook friend.

“About 2 weeks ago I woke, as I often do in the wee hrs if I go to bed too early, and glanced at the window to see if dawn was breaking. There seemed to be a strange light outside my window. With the uphill slant of the land, our water tank and my daughter’s camper...there should have been nothing casting a light at that window. I looked at the time and it was 1:32 a.m., far from daylight. When I looked back, the window was dark! A few nights later I woke for no reason, and while trying to figure out what woke me, it sounded like someone pounded on our front door. Three knocks evenly spaced and at the same volume. My dog heard it and started barking. I woke my husband, who checked around outside with a weapon and light, but couldn't find anything or anyone. He came back to bed and as we were talking about it, we heard pounding again, only it sounded like it was about half way out the drive. Again three times in the same pattern just not as loud.

“A few days later, I was home alone and I heard a lot of noise toward the back of the trailer and thought our tomcats were fighting. Since my hearing isn't good, I couldn't tell exactly what it was or where it was coming from, so I opened the door to look out and two buzzards flew from the top of my trailer to the edge of the yard. They circled just over the top of the trees there, but soon flew away. That same weekend one of my husband’s uncles passed away. The uncle had disowned all his family but one brother, so I had never met this man.

“We’ve had our trailer in this location for 13yrs, and buzzards have never come closer than to soar over our field, and much higher than treetop....Would love to hear your thoughts.”

I’d touched on some of my thoughts on the supernatural in a post a year or two ago, but many have probably never seen it. However, I don’t believe I recounted a couple experiences of my own.

The first was during broad daylight, when I was probably 18-20 years old, and still living with the folks. I was on the far side of the hollow in the back pasture, which Dad had nick-named “Maternity Flats,” due to so many of our cows going there to calve. It was summer, and the buzzing sound of various insects in the field and trees around me was very noticeable. As I stood there surveying the scenery, I noticed that the buzzing kept getting louder and louder. Since I kept bees at the time, I started watching for a swarm, in case one was available to be captured. The buzzing kept getting louder and louder, but nothing could be seen in any direction, including straight up.

Finally the noise became almost deafening and, afraid that I might be in a potentially dangerous spot, I trotted across the shallow draw that made up much of that field and didn’t stop until I was a couple hundred feet away. The buzzing was far less noticeable there, and it gradually subsided to zero, without ever sounding as if it was moving. After a few minutes, I slowly retraced my steps, looking for a swarm of bees hanging on a branch, or some other explanation for what I’d just experienced. I found nothing. I had a 12 gauge in my hands, and was too stupid at that age to be scared of much, but I tell you, I was a bit nervous to be around a huge swarm of invisible bees! To this day, I think there was no NATURAL explanation.

Some people have said that they have heard supernatural voices. I don’t doubt them, for so have I. The last three were the “still, small voice” of God, bring messages that I didn’t exactly want to hear. The first one was as far from God as you can get. Not long after becoming a Christian, I was laying in bed still awake, while my new wife lay sleeping beside me. Deciding to put the time to good use, I decided to pray silently to the Lord. There were a lot of adjustments to be made with a new wife, stepson and an upcoming move from her home to mine, PLUS the lifestyle change of trying to be a good Christian. As a result, it was a bit of a long prayer, but suddenly, overtop my own internal voice came the words “I don’t need you, God!”

It wasn’t my voice, and it literally interrupted me; there was no lull in my prayer where the words were inserted. The voice sounded evil and as if it was synthesized—not natural. To say that I was shaken up would be an understatement. My next sentence was, “I don’t know who that was, Lord, but he sure wasn’t speaking for ME! I apparently need you more than I ever dreamed!” My prayer continued uninterrupted, and I’ve never heard the voice again. Some folks would insist that I dreamed it, but I truly was NOT asleep. Knowledgeable believers will understand.

I believe that there may be people who can conjure up the dead. Unlike some people, I believe that Saul actually spoke to Samuel after Samuel’s death, when Saul had consulted a medium. One reason that I believe so is because Samuel gave Saul the dickens for his sin of consulting the medium in the first place and foretold his ruin. The Bible makes it clear that we are to leave such consultations strictly alone.

As for my friend’s experience, who is to say? Maybe it was some less than obvious co-incidence, or maybe it was some message from a higher (or lower) power. But, since she’s a Christian, she’s safe from any such “messengers,” regardless of the source.

So, do I believe in ghosts? Absolutely not. There are no biblical indications that Almighty God loses track of people and lets their spirits go wandering through the world willy-nilly. I DO believe in angels and demons. However, I believe the only folks who are in danger from the demons are those who are unsaved and those saved individuals who insist on dabbling in the occult. Remember, “Greater is He who is in you, than he who is in the world.” © 2013
-

5 comments:

Mamahen said...

Speaking of strange things in daylight...when my grandmother was on her death bed, she layed for several hrs ina coma with very loud labored breathing... A few months after she had passed , I was driving by a little mom n pop gas station/general store in our little town owned by a very nice well loved couple.. As I passed by the sound of my grandmothers breathing filled my car. I continued on, startled but I was going to pick up my younger brother. When he got in the car he said he had bad news... The fellow who owned that store had passed away that day...

Gorges Smythe said...

I think some folks are more sensitive to such things, Mh, though I don't know why. I think that's how some folks get misled into going over the edge and into the occult. I'm very glad you haven't.

Mamahen said...

NO!!! Tho i've had some unexplained things happen, I have never wanted or tried to pursue such activity!

Chickenmom said...

Lots of stuff out there that just cannot be explained. Some people are just more sensitive to it than others.

Gorges Smythe said...

And I'm glad you didn't, Mh!

I believe you're right, Cm. I know one fellow who's a bit fearful of his "receptibility," and makes sure that he never makes any moves in that direction from concern where it might take him. Even now, he knows more than he wants to.