Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Christmas Thankfulness

-
No matter your opinion of Christmas (Mine is downright heretical to some.), it is the day that a sinful church has chosen to celebrate the birth of Jesus. Being sinful creatures ourselves, if we choose to celebrate it, it should be not only a season of gift-giving, but one of thankfulness—thankfulness to God for sending Jesus to die for our sins. And, just as Christmas brings out the very worst in a great many people, it also brings out the very best in others. For that, too, we can be thankful. I, in particular, have been blessed by others this year.

In order, I first want to thank a generous benefactor from afar that chose to make my life a little easier. Only HE knows when or how, but I will never forget his kindness.

Secondly, I’m thankful for a two relatives who offered to help out when they mistakenly thought that I was down for the count. THEIR offers, too, are deeply appreciated. Most relatives seem more interested in how you can help THEM these days, so they sort of helped restore my faith in kinfolk.

Thirdly, I want to thank a certain neighbor whose mechanical skills have been offered to me to solve a particular problem. His kindness will, ultimately, allow me to continue working towards my CDL, even if my unemployment ends.

Lastly, I’m thankful for the person or persons that helped me in a way quite unexpected. They chose to remain anonymous, so I won’t pry. I suspect they will never read this, but I am thankful for their kindness none-the-less.

There are other things to be thankful for, of course. My father passed away too young, but my mother is still with us and will dine with us tomorrow, along with my sister. My stepson and his lovely and charming wife will be with us, as will three of our five grandchildren. One of those, we thought we might never see again after she went off to college, but we’ll see her tomorrow. We are thankful for that and, equally, for all the others, as well. The effort is getting a bit much for my wife, so this may be the last year that we host our get-together, so we are very happy to have so much of our family with us.


I hope that each of you reading this are able to spend at least part of the Christmas/ New Year’s season with those you love. And just for the record, I’m thankful for each and every one of YOU, who have listened to my gripes, my grumps and my twisted humor. Special thanks to those who have been so kind as to unite with me in prayer over certain matters. To quote Dickens’s Tiny Tim, "God bless us, every one!" © 2013
-

15 comments:

Mamahen said...

Well said as always.....May God Bless you and your family !

Gorges Smythe said...

Thank you, Mh; I am blessed to have gotten to know you.

Mamahen said...

That goes both ways :))

Warren said...

Very nice tribute to those who have been kind and gracious to you. We all have such people in our lives, and it is good to be grateful toward them on this day. I will reflect more on that myself.

God bless, and have a great Christmas.

Gorges Smythe said...

Thanks, Mh.

Thanks, Warren; Merry Christmas!

Chickenmom said...

Even when times are tough, really tough, it takes a good and wise man to see all the little blessings that are still around him. You, Gorges are a very wise man. Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you and your family!

Gorges Smythe said...

I'm glad you see my great wisdom, Cm; my little granddaughter usually just says, "You're silly, Grandpa!" ;-) Guess SHE'S wiser than I realize! Thank you, Cm; I hope you and yours have a wonderful Christmas and a prosperous new year!

Mamma Bear said...

GS...Thank you for reminding us that we are blessed all throughout the year. We are especially blessed for the birth of our Lord and Savior.

Merry Christmas to you and yours. We hope you have a wonderful day with your family!

Mamma Bear, Papa Bear and the Marine

sig94 said...

Glad to hear of your blessings in matters large and small.

Have a very Merry Christmas.

Gorges Smythe said...

Thank you, MB, I hope you have a blessed Christmas.

Thanks, sig; I hope you have a great Christmas.

deborah harvey said...

hi hi sweety pi!
i'm past a lot of preparation. however, the big grocery here is giant eagle. you can order your complete Christmas or other celebratory meal from them. it doesn't have to be turkey. or cook your own meat and get side dishes from them.
i also use paper plates and plastic tableware except for most serving spoons and steak knives.
it is maybe a bit expensive but it takes a huge load off.
setting the table, a few decorations, and making punch and other details are quite enough hassle.
think about it for Pascha or 4th of july ,and i hope you have a driving job by then and the bit of extra expense won't faze you.
just a thought.
at Pascha we often have pizza or chinese food. doesn't have to be poultry and stuffing! let your imagination envision it. could be fun and a surprise to kith and kin.
just something to think about.
Jesus loves you!
deb h

deborah harvey said...

hi comment lost, computer disconnected. a t & t is terrible.
next celebration if money is okay try ordering meal from big grocer or use stouffer side dishes. delicious,we especially like mac n cheese and corn souffle which is just corn pudding. corn dish is seasonal. i get a couple and freeze for out of season use.
paper plates and plastic forks. just a few preps like making punch and a bit of decoration and you're ready to go.
hope driving jobs come thru and then the money will ease.
our car died this week. spent last penny to buy a 1997 car. hope it holds up. dead car not paid for so those payments are ongoing.
sometimes the only break one can catch is a broken bone![or a broken vehicle.]
Jesus loves you.
deb h

Gorges Smythe said...

Hi deb h, both of the comments eventually made it through, and since they're a little different, I left them both up. You may have a good suggestion there, Thanks.

Kathy Felsted Usher said...

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year! I've had company all week so I'm really behind in reading blogs but better late than never.

Gorges Smythe said...

Thanks, Kathy, I hope you have a wonderful new year.