Saturday, December 21, 2013

Grump Of The Day

-
We had snow on the ground for several days lately, but it’s all gone now. Even though, I don’t care much for the white stuff anymore, it made it a lot easier to see when I took the dog out at night. That is especially true after the power company put in a new light where the guy knocked over the pole in our yard recently. Also, there were several clear nights with a bright moon. I could literally go outside without using the flashlight under those conditions. That all ended a couple nights ago when we came home and saw an orange moon rising and then had clouds moving in near morning. Last night was cloudy and today has been rainy. It’s supposed to be that way through Christmas now for us.

Incidentally, I thought that it was interesting that the power company replaced the old mercury vapor light on the pole by the road, due to having mercury in it, yet they’re forcing us to use mercury bulbs in our homes under the guise of going green. Now I ask you, why is one green and not the other, and how can one be safe and not the other? I’m guessing that it has a whole lot more to do with congressmen’s and presidents’ pockets being lined with corporate money than it does the environment.

I went to do my drug test for CDL training yesterday. From the time that I walked into the unemployment office and filled out paperwork, until I walked out of a nearby medical office, after more paperwork and peeing in a cup, was just a shade over two hours. Bureaucratic efficiency, I guess.

Another thing I have to do is go to the DMV and get a copy of my driving record. I haven’t had a traffic ticket in over 25 years, but of course, they need proof of that, and the DMV charges $5 for telling me what I already know. I literally won’t have $5 until at least Tuesday, so I’ll have to wait until then to get it. There’s a course set to begin on the 30th, but with all the red tape, I may have to wait until the class on the 13th to start.

It looks like I’ll be getting out of jury duty at the state capitol, 80 miles away. They didn’t care that I was broke and didn’t have enough gas to get there and that my tires were barely legal and make me nervous at highway speeds. (I didn’t mention that I have a brand-new set in reserve.) They didn’t care, either, that I have bursitis in my right hip and get to hurting badly if I sit too long. (It’s about a two-hour drive there, besides any time in court, then a two-hour trip home.) However, they said that if I could get a note from my doctor they could probably give me a permanent release. I did and they did. I felt like I was a little kid again and I had to get a note that said, “Please excuse Gorgie from school…”

Oh well, it could be worse; it could be an election year. © 2013

 -

5 comments:

Mamahen said...

Well glad you got out of jd....Don't get me started on the lightbulb thing :/ About the election year......we coukdn't be so lucky as to e getting these jokers out of there!

HermitJim said...

That does seem strange about the light thing. Sounds like one of those "Do as I say, not as I do!" things to me!

More than happy you got out of jury duty.

Gorges Smythe said...

You're probably right, Mh; I'm afraid they're in for good, maybe including Obama.

I agree, Jim.

Kathy Felsted Usher said...

I think they come get you around here if you can't get to court. My husband got out of it because he didn't get paid if he didn't work, they will schedule around your jobs. Good luck with the classes!

Gorges Smythe said...

I could get out of it when I was self-employed, Kathy, but it's a tad harder when you're UNemployed!