Tuesday, December 31, 2013

It Ain't Been New Years Since Guy Lombardo

-
I've been a fan of the music from previous generations ever since I was a little kid. I didn't just like the music from my parent's generation that was playing on the radio when I was a wee laddie; I also liked the music of THEIR parents, and their grandparents before them, and so on. That's why I always looked forward to New Years as a kid, because it was an excuse to stay up late and listen to Guy Lombardo's Royal Canadians play Aulde Lang Syne. It hasn't been the same for me since his last performance. I guess I'm just weird that way. I mean no disrespect by laughing when I hear about people missing Dick Clark on New Years Eve. It's just that I was a bearded adult before I ever knew who Dick Clark was. But I knew Guy Lombardo (along with Les Brown and his Band of Renown, and others). My wife and I will stay up until midnight and watch the ball drop, as we usually do, but I haven't the foggiest idea why, considering that I won't get to watch Mr. Lombardo direct his matchless Royal Canadians.

Here's a link for those young whipper-snappers among you who have no idea who Guy Lombardo was.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guy_Lombardo
-

6 comments:

Mamahen said...

Ahhh, the memories :))

Gorges Smythe said...

Yeah, they sure beat that I saw on there as we surfed the channels, Mh!

Mamahen said...

Oh you can say that again....wanted to see the NY ball drop, but could hardly stand the crap that was on. We left it muted n chated till the count down started.

Gorges Smythe said...

Can't blame you. I guess some drunk chic on NBC managed to insult the Pearl Harbor veterans in the process.

Pumice said...

I join you in remembering when Dick Clark was really young.

Many Happy Returns.

Grace and peace

Gorges Smythe said...

It COULDN'T be that we're getting old, Pumice.