Monday, December 23, 2013

Passing Thoughts On A Winter’s Day

-
I was in the unemployment office to get some information today and ended up chatting with a woman in line with me. We touched on scraping the bottom of the barrel here at Christmas time and I mentioned that I had plenty of canned goods left, though not always of what I wanted. I told her that I ended up with some strange combinations sometimes, but that I had yet to go hungry. She admitted that she HAD gone hungry a few times lately, but only because she wasn’t a pig and couldn’t eat “just anything.” Perhaps she really wasn’t trying to offend me due to my porcine physique, or perhaps she was, but if so, she probably got a surprise when I laughed. SHE might have been offended had I voiced my thought that pigs must be smarter than her!

I got my first auto insurance bill for the new year today and it’s $5 a month higher than this year’s. I continue to pay the Farm Bureau $40 a year in membership since it saves me $100 per annum on the cost with Nationwide. I’m more than a little miffed that Farm Bureau isn’t big on enforcing immigration law on our southern border and is supposedly in favor of amnesty. I’m thinking about dropping my membership for that reason alone. Now that Nationwide is raising the cost of my liability-only policy, I’m going to shop around. Sadly, it’s usually hard to beat the price that mutual companies offer. I’ve already given up collision due to the cost.


I came upstairs today and told my wife that I saw something in the basement that I hadn’t seen for several years. She acted disgusted when I told her it was a certain section of the floor. I was sort of happy that my efforts to organize the basement were finally starting to pay off! She, on the other hand, is the sort of person who looks at a donut and sees only the hole. That’s why I decided to share my “joy” with YOU! LOL! © 2013
-

11 comments:

Chickenmom said...

All insurance is so expensive! My Jeepster is almost 14 years old - not worth paying for collision coverage anymore.

Mamahen said...

Lol...I too have odd combinations when my disability check runs out toward the end of the month.but thank the Lord my plate is not empty. Hubby n I did some cleaning before putting up the Christmas decorations , and we found a few things we hadn't seen for awhile ( a section of counter and a corner in the kitchen) lol. Oh and yes I agree if there is food in the house and you go without eating.....well that just don't seem smart to me :))

Gorges Smythe said...

My wife's 11-year-old compact probably isn't either, Cm, but I cringe not to have it on my 6-year-old Toyota Tundra Crew-Max.

You're a wise lady, MH!

Sixbears said...

We ate some weird stuff after a few weeks on the sailboat. Didn't get a chance to reprovision. That, and some labels fell off. Black olives, turkey stuffing, and spam. Yum.

Merry Christmas.

Gorges Smythe said...

Lost labels? That COULD get interesting, Sixbears! lol

deborah harvey said...

thanks for sharing the joy. between age, illness and moving about every 5 yrs, there are plenty of sections of floor i haven't seen since we got here. they are covered by stacks of boxes - into which i haven't seen for yrs. trying little by little to sift thru so next move will be much lighter, God willing.
any progress is still progress. and good for you!!

Gorges Smythe said...

Thanks, deb, and you're right, progress IS progress! lol

Sunnybrook Farm said...

I see pigs once in awhile and they seem to be happy. I think that they realize that dirt is good and just have a ball rooting it up and finding goodies. I would rather be a pig than her lap dog, the pig has more fun I would imagine.

Kathy Felsted Usher said...

Congrats on finding your floor. I'm still searching for mine! LOL Merry Christmas

Ed Winkle said...

Insurance scares me, Gorges. It could eat up my traveling money real fast.

Times are hard but you wouldn't know it on local higheays. The highways have been very crowded here. Glad we live in little old Martinsville, population 440.

I think I am going to have to learn how to live even cheaper!

Ed Winkle

Gorges Smythe said...

Probably so, SF! lol

I wish you success on your search and may you have a merry Christmas, Kathy!

I swear, Ed, if I was alone, I think I'd sell the truck and buy me a horse.