Saturday, December 28, 2013

Wasted Wings, Garbage Plates And Other Muddled Musings

-
By prior agreement, there were no gifts under our tree this year, but most of the people that we care most about were with us, so it was a pleasant Christmas day.

My wife “stripped the bird” and left the remainder sitting out all the next day. She made turkey salad for sandwiches which was (and is) good. Still, when I went to throw the stuff away, both entire wings were still there and a surprising amount of meat left on the carcass. I saw at least enough meat for two good-sized sandwiches. Later, she asked me if I wanted her to throw the rest of the left-overs away. I know she doesn’t like left-overs, but I was raised to believe that waste was sinful, and so was she. Sometimes I just can’t figure her out.

That evening, I took some corn, green beans, mashed potatoes and gravy, mixed it up and zapped it in the micro-wave. I sometimes enjoy a good “garbage plate.” Later, I noticed my wife doing the same thing.

I’m trying to sell the waterbed that I slept on for 15 years, and some know-it-all brat from one of the back-counties offered me a fourth of what I was asking for it (despite the fact that I was only asking a fourth of what I paid for it and it still looks like new). Then he had the nerve to tell me in all caps (This was on Facebook.) that IT IS NOT A WATERBED. I learned a long time ago to ignore morons, so I did.

My wife had a hankering for a certain kind of pie that Sam’s carries, so I gave her the money and told her to go in and get one. She came back pie-less, explaining that they’d doubled the price since last year and she wasn’t about to pay it. I can’t blame her; that’s a little TOO much greed!

I came across a pair of camo pants in my closet that I’d only worn a couple times back about 100 pounds ago. I gave them to the neighbor since I know he hunts. He said he could wear them over his other clothes and draw them up with his belt. He’s a laid-off roofer, so I figure he’ll make good use of them one way or another.

I made a couple wooden blocks to raise the wheel barrow axle up about an-inch-and-a-half. It road so low, that the front would catch on the ground sometimes, especially under a really heavy load. The handles are some kind of jungle wood that seemed softer than my pine blocks when I tightened the bolts. I need to air the tire up some more and then it should be ready to roll again (pun intended). Remember when tools were built to USE instead of just to SELL? It’s a famous brand, too, but that seems to mean nothing these days.

Well, I’ve grumped, therefore, I still am.


I’m about to finish up the fourth book in the Foxfire series and have really enjoyed it. Though there’s a certain amount of useless blather in the books, there’s also a wealth of information for the neophyte prepper or city immigrant to the hill country. © 2013
-

10 comments:

Sixbears said...

Usually by the time I'm done with a turkey it's just boiled bones. I hate waste too. That bird died so we could live.

I'm really bad at selling things, but that's probably because I'm really bad at dealing with idiots. Good luck.

I've a closet of things that will fit me as soon as I lose weight. Can't wait to get back into those orange bell bottoms. :) (naw, those are gone.)

Gorges Smythe said...

My bell-bottoms were burgundy with muave pockets. When they got a little short, I had Mom sew a colorful guitar strap along the bottom of the legs. I may have been a redcneck at heart, but I was a HIPPY-FIED redneck! LOL!

Ralph Goff said...

Its hard to break the habits of a lifetime. I was raised with "waste not-want not" too and I still live by it even though I probably don't need to. Whatever leftovers I don't eat, my cats and chickens will. When I hear about, or see the amount of food that is wasted in our society today it just shocks and amazes me.

HermitJim said...

I've always been a left over lover, so not much goes to waste around here! Besides, enough gravy makes almost anything edible!

Gorges Smythe said...

Ralph, I've read that HALF of the food produced in the world goes to waste, between simple wastefulness, transportation problems and corporate and government corruption.

I've always heard that about gravy, Jim!

Mamahen said...

When the leftovers get to that stage I usually through it all in a stew pot with some herbs and srasonings nand make "garbage" soup! My daughter loved it as a kid and we still eat it :))

Gorges Smythe said...

That's the right thing to do. Mh!

Kathy Felsted Usher said...

I have a limit on how long leftovers are kept if not frozen. I really can only do a couple of days of the same thing and then would rather switch to some other leftover. He likes his Pot-O-Meat for the week! LOL

Gorges Smythe said...

It's true, Kathy, ANYTHING gets old after so long.

Pumice said...

Thomas Sowell does this type of writing on occasion. The little snippets are interesting and my attention span can work with them.

Grace and peace.