Saturday, January 25, 2014

Cabin Fever

-
It’s been hovering around zero at night for most of a week and not a lot warmer through the day. Our furnace finally shut off for about half an hour this afternoon—the first time since Monday. I’ve been getting my wife and dog taken out about every other day to combat cabin fever, but it’s gotten the best of them a time or two. Our little dog has come to expect a little ride every day and mopes when she doesn’t get it. She’s getting worse than my wife!

It started snowing sometime before 4AM and only stopped for about an hour this afternoon. I managed to get the dog to take her daily “doo” in the snow, so she’s good for the night, unless she gets some unexpected urge. She’ll have to drain about every three hours, though, especially now that she’s got another urinary tract infection.

The snow has started again with a vengeance, but so far, we still have less than six inches. Of course that’s still deeper than the dog. Currently, it’s 4 degrees here and the snow is coming sideways more than downward. There won’t be any taking my granddaughter out for her birthday this evening, and probably not tomorrow. At seven, she’ll be disappointed, but it will probably all be okay if the waiters bring her a cake and sing Happy Birthday, whenever we DO get her out.


Guess I’d best get off here and go back to work on my “trip” project for CDL class. Ya’ll try to stay warm (and sane)! © 2014
-

12 comments:

Kathy Felsted Usher said...

Keep warm in the snow and good luck on the test! I'm sure your granddaughter will have a great time playing in the snow until you can take her out. It's always fun to watch them get birthday attention at the restaurants.

Mamahen said...

Good thing I don't get cabin fever....on the average I only leave my hill 3-4 times a month lol. If my brother sees me go by...he calls to make sure i'm ok lol...I am about tired of all this cold weather tho!

Angela said...

We didn't hear it at our house but others not far from hear heard the thundersnow! There are videos of it popping up on fb from the local news. I didn't know it was going to snow again tonight. The wind was blowing very hard and the snow covered up the tracks we made in the snow earlier today when we rode around in it on our yard. It is rough having birthdays in the winter especially when it's a snowy year. I can't remember ever going to school on my birthday in February due to the snow and school cancelled. She'll get used to it unfortunately. I did. There are times I have to wait for my birthday dinner for a good 2 weeks.

Sunnybrook Farm said...

If this keeps up, you will need a long legged dog.

Gorges Smythe said...

Yeah, she'll eat it up! :-)

I'll be glad to sit on the porch again, Mh.

We didn't hear it here, Angela. I guess we'll see the girl when we see her, when it comes to the birthday girl.

Actually, SF, I tromped down a place as good as I could to make it a little easier on her.

Lady Locust said...

Have you ever tried feeding little doggy cranberries or craisins? Just a thought:) Keep warm.

Sixbears said...

Cabin fever is no joke.

Gorges Smythe said...

I've been giving her about a level teaspoon of dried cranberries a day. Apparently, that's not enough to do the trick for a 25 pound dog.

I've heard of folks actually going crazy, Sixbears, so I'm glad I don't live in the Klondike or someplace.

Ralph Goff said...

Like Saskatchewan Gorges? Actually I do fine getting to town once a week to empty the junk mail out of my mail box. Get plenty of exercise and fresh air shoveling snow and looking after the few cattle. It always amazes me how fast the time passes actually.

Gorges Smythe said...

Yeah, even Saskatchewan, Ralph. I'd move south before I'd move north. I didn't feel that way in my younger days, but I do now.

Bill said...

This winter is relentless. Woke up to about a foot of snow here with more on the way and low temperatures going even lower. Best of luck to you with your CDL endeavor.

Gorges Smythe said...

I think it's rough on everybody, Bill. Thanks for the good wishes.