Friday, January 24, 2014

Cold, Permits And Pigs

-
It’s been a cold week here. The “school” where I’m taking my CDL classes only had regular classes on Monday. Since then, mornings have begun around zero degrees with a wind-chill under minus 10 degrees. They DID have some of the fellows there today, who are farther along than my group, doing some lot maneuvers. I don’t know if they had anyone on the road or not. I stopped in to borrow an atlas so I could do one of my projects over the weekend that would have been done this week, had there been classes. They also made a copy of my CDL learner’s permit.

From that last sentence, you can gather that I took and passed the remaining part of my written exam today (which I flunked last week). I still missed a question, but I passed. In doing my studying, I think I figured out PART of why I didn’t do better last week. There are a few parts of the brake system that are known by multiple names. Instead of standardizing their terms, they use them indiscriminately in the test, which is confusing to an old muddle-headed fellow like me. I guess an extra week of studying helped me to remember them better. I have to wonder, though, since they’re trying to standardize laws and licensing across the whole country, why are they not standardizing terms? Oh well, I passed; that’s the main thing.

Two other classmates showed up while I was at the DMV. I hope they passed, as well. Also, I learned that I could have taken my original test here in my home town, rather than clear down at the state capitol. But, for some reason, they haven’t advertised the fact, so my school didn’t know about it. I suspect they made the change when they moved into their new building last year. I’ll try to remember to tell the manager up there Monday.


We went to the Chinese Emporium this afternoon to get a birthday gift for our youngest granddaughter. While there, I needed to use the restroom, but found the floor covered with urine, and the commode spattered with juice from a guy’s snuff. I could have used the other one, had I waited. However, since I know the guy who would have had to clean up the mess (a former coworker), I did it for him and went ahead and used that one. You really can’t put tobacco juice down the side of a “spittoon” that large and put that much urine on the floor without meaning to do so. I guess it’s good that I didn’t see the guy doing it; I might have done something terribly unchristian and mopped up the mess with HIM! Some guys are such destructive pigs. © 2014
-

13 comments:

Sunnybrook Farm said...

Glad you got that permit, now you know how they operate. How many more days of cold, maybe by Wednesday?

Gorges Smythe said...

Actually, they're predicting about another week of it here, SF.

M. Silvius said...

Glad to hear you passed the test, I knew you would. It has been bloody cold here in Maine as well, 10 bellow zero at night and usually not much more than 10 above during the day..

Chickenmom said...

Congrats, Gorges ! I just KNEW you would pass the test! See, prayers do work!

Gorges Smythe said...

Thanks, Michael. I hope we both get some warmer weather soon.

Thanks, Cm. I said one right before I started the test, Too!

Angela said...

Congratulations! I'm glad to hear that you passed your test. I would have died if I went into a restroom and seen what you seen. I'm not sure if I could have cleaned it! lol

Gorges Smythe said...

I guess I've got a pretty strong stomach, Angela.

Mamahen said...

Congrats on the test...and it was nice of you to cean up that mess.... some ppl are so crude :/

Gorges Smythe said...

Thanks, Mh. Amen on the "lastest" part.

Mamma Bear said...

GS...I'm glad you had no more problems with that test! Papa Bear has told me about some of those nasty urinals. Sometimes the ladies rooms are not that great either. I can only imagine what some of their homes look and smell like.

Gorges Smythe said...

MB, I used to work with a guy who smelled like garbage, even when he was freshly showered. I finally realized that it was the scent of his apartment that I was licking up from his clothes. He was married, so apparently neither one of them had any sense.

Pumice said...

Glad you passed and are moving forward. Since I am working down these posts in reverse order I may find another announcement.

Jargon is the lifeblood of government and educated elitists.

Grace and peace.

Gorges Smythe said...

Yes, Pumice, many folks use jargon to mask their feelings of inferiority.