Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Measure Twice, Cut Once

-
I thought that a few of you might enjoy seeing this. I found it in a bucket of tools that were mostly my maternal grandfather's. However, there were a few pieces in there belonging to an even older elderly cousin. I THINK it belonged to my grandfather. If so, I believe it was used at the shipyard at Point Pleasant, West Virginia during WW II. If it belonged to the cousin, it would have been used by him in the oilfields around Volcano, West Virginia. It measures about 2-1/2 inches across. Below the photo are the words of the ad that I placed on Facebook.


ANTIQUE 25 FOOT BRASS PLATED LUFKIN CLOTH TAPE MEASURE FOR SALE - was used either in the shipyard at Point Pleasant, or the oil fields of Volcano, don't know which - tape is complete but extremely oily - loop is literally hanging by a thread - $10 or the highest offer above that
-

6 comments:

Sunnybrook Farm said...

That is a neat one. We seem to have some similar items, I have my grandfather's leather cased tape measure from when he worked for the phone company prior to the 50s, it still has Bell System stamped in it. It to is cloth but still functions and I think those ends were the main place that they break. It can probably be repaired fairly easy and put back into use. They really made things good back then as I don't think a modern steel one would last and a cloth one just feels good to use.

Chickenmom said...

Cool! My Dad had one, too! I think my brother has it.

Sixbears said...

I cut it twice and it's still too short.

That's an old one. Somewhere I have an old survey tape about that age.

Gorges Smythe said...

The difference in quality is why I prefer antique tools when in usable shape, SF.

I'm glad you have someone taking care of it, Cm!

Once again, Sixbears, no-one to pass it on to, so I'm trying to find it a home. Besides the fact that a little money can be useful, I've found that, most of the time, those who pay for something take better care of it than those who get it for free.

Ralph Goff said...

I'm not sure if the one I have has a brass case or not but it is a cloth tape and belonged to my grandfather. It has seen a lot of use long before I ever touched it.

Gorges Smythe said...

This one is actually just brass plated, Ralph, but the metal looks pretty good for its age. The tape is so oily that it's almost illegible for the first few feet, though.