Sunday, January 5, 2014

Old Wood

-
Here are the three Famo boxes that I sold yesterday. I'd guess the wood is old growth fir or spruce. I think the boxes are neat, and hate the thought of them being destroyed, even to make musical instruments.


After finding out what the guy was going to use them for, I remembered four pieces of wood that I had in the basement. They were given to me nearly 30 years ago by the elderly co-owner of the place where I worked at the time. They were part of the lowest shelf from an old display case that he'd gotten 20-30 years earlier. He took them out so he could store things directly on the floor, out of sight under the case and have more room. He told me the cabinet was over a century old when he got it, so that probably makes the wood over 150 years old. Like the Famo boxes, it appears to be old growth fir or spruce. At 15" square and 1/2" thick, they would be perfect for making instruments. They're pictured below, but the patina makes them look darker than the wood would be if sanded.

-

9 comments:

Chickenmom said...

There is something just beautiful about the feel and look of old wood.
It is nice to know that something good will be made from them!

Brian said...

Too far away for me Gorges , I hope the old wood will live on in some form , those boxes look great , what were they used for ? ;)

Sunnybrook Farm said...

Maybe the guy would swap the boxes back to you for the wood?
A lot of the guys making cigar box guitars and the like aren't real concerned about the wood as they are using electric guitar parts in them anyway. But who knows what he is doing.
Still up in the 30s here with fog and drizzle at times, I would be happy if it stayed that way.

Gorges Smythe said...

I'll give you that, Cm. What would be really cool would be if he'd leave the embossing.

They held chocolate covered nuts, Brian. Sounds good to me!

Too much trouble, SF, I'll just try to sell these pieces, too. I don't what it's supposed to do on your side of the ridge, but it's predicted to get darned cold here for a couple days.

Tewshooz said...

Those beautiful boxes will be destroyed, but the wood will be repurposed and live on to make music. New life.

Mamma Bear said...

The boxes are beautiful but I think I like the idea of making them into a musical instrument. From one beautiful thing to another.

Gorges Smythe said...

True, Tewshooz.

I'd still like it better if they'd let the embossing show, MB! :-)

Warren said...

I like the integrity of old craftsmanship, whether in wood or books.

Gorges Smythe said...

I sure can't disagree with that, Warren.