Saturday, February 1, 2014

My Week In Review

-
We managed to have almost a full week of class this week at the trucker’s school. We did let out early on Tuesday due to too much ice on the lot. (Some was the most beautiful shade of metallic blue, when seen from just the right angle. Of course, it was a mixture of diesel fuel, anti-freeze, brake fluid and motor oil that probably gave it that lovely sheen.) Our time was spent practicing straight-line backing and doing three different types of parking or docking maneuvers. I left a little early Friday due to there not being time to get a second round of maneuvers in before quitting time. I had plans anyway, so I could use the extra time. We should start getting out on the road next week, but that will remain to be seen. The bad weather has sort of jammed up the schedule of various classes that are normally two weeks apart. I don’t blame the school, they can’t control the weather.

My youngest granddaughter’s birthday was on the 25th, but the weather was too bad to get with her then, so we had to cancel. The same thing happened last year and she was heart-broken. She’d seen her older sister get dinner at Olive Garden, complete with the cake and having the waiters and waitresses sing “Happy Birthday,” so she was hoping for the same. This year, we were determined to make it happen, no matter HOW belated it was. She’s seven, so she adored all the attention and had a very good time. She even got a couple belated gifts from us and a card. Our waitress was older and not the fastest, but she was sweet and very patient, so maybe it was for the best. She got a good tip. Our daughter-in-law’s son was along and acted like a normal 13-year-old, so of course his mother was embarrassed. I told her not to worry about it; her husband was no picnic at that age either! He’s turned out fairly well, though, so I suspect her boy will do the same.

I’m not getting much blogging done during the week. I have to go to bed at 9 to get up at 4:30 and be there at 7, and that doesn’t leave much time after getting the wife and dog out of the house for a while, so they won’t die of cabin fever. It would be better if I could get back to sleep after my time up during the “wee” hours of the morning, when I and the dog have to drain our tanks. Sometimes I lay there for an-hour-and-a-half before I drift back off. Even then, I usually beat the alarm by a few minutes to half-an-hour. When we got back from taking my granddaughter out last night, I was too tired to even go on the computer, so I lay down on the floor, in front of the TV, and promptly started snoring away. I did get online a couple hours later and catch up with Facebook, reading other folk’s blogs and responding to comments on mine. I also posted a few links on both.

I guess this will be the same drill when I finally get a job. I think I’m getting too old to work for a living; maybe I’ll win the lottery! I keep forgetting to buy a ticket, though, so that probably won’t happen. Oh well, I’ve always earned my way by the sweat of my brow like the Lord intended; I’m blessed to have the opportunity, many DON”T.


This may be my only personal post this weekend. I need to start my taxes and keep working at cataloging old family photos, and there’s not enough time for THAT either. My wife and dog BOTH feel neglected. When I lay down on the floor last night, the dog came over and lay against my belly and dozed off, too. I told my wife that there was room for three, but she declined. Imagine that! © 2014
-

11 comments:

JaneofVirginia said...

Gorges, I am always glad to hear how you are getting on. It makes me feel safer knowing that you will be one of the truckers driving on the interstate.
The training should be over soon, and then there will be a paycheck ! LOL
Very best wishes,

Gorges Smythe said...

Thanks for your vote of confidence, Jane. My instructor probably would NOT have felt the same, had you asked him yesterday when I almost sideswiped another truck in a wide turn!

Chickenmom said...

Maybe if you offered to scratch behind her ears??? LOL Take your time posting, we'll be here.

Sunnybrook Farm said...

With a CDL you can drive all kinds of things even like the local delivery trucks so you can be home at night. School bus if you can stand it.
I'm sure the instructor is used to some wild wide turns, he must have nerves of steel or drugs.

Kathy Felsted Usher said...

I keep trying to win that lottery too, but usually only when the jackpot is over $200 million. Gotta buy that ticket to win! Good luck.

Angela said...

The weather has been so crazy this winter! They are saying 2 to 5 inches of snow tomorrow night. I'm already thinking the kids won't be going to school Monday!.... They haven't been in school much since Christmas!

I seen where someone commented about driving a school bus. Where we live at they have a hard time keeping bus drivers or maybe it is we have a hard time keeping a bus driver on my kids route! I'm so tired of getting used to the new driver and then they move on to another job and then I have to get used to another driver. They all drive different so one might get there at 3:30 and the other might not get there until up to 4:00. When you have a previous driver who got there at 3:30 and then the next driver don't get there until 4:00 that makes me sitting there for over 45 minutes waiting and not knowing what's going on. Enough of my rant! lol

I'm so glad that you were finally able to take your grand daughter out for her birthday dinner! She's of the age that she will remember that for the rest of her life. I'm hoping to get to go to our favorite Italian place in Beckley for my birthday in 2 weeks! lol

Gorges Smythe said...

Do you really think I didn't try that, Cm? lol

That's what I'm hoping for, SF.

Thanks, Kathy; you too!

It's been a crazy winter so far, Angela, and ill-timed buses wouldn't help. Hope you get your Italian dinner! Happy early birthday!

Crystal Mary said...

Loved reading about your week. Good on you learning to drive a truck. I hope you get a nice job doing it. I found the Truckers in the U.S. to be better mannered than those over here. Perhaps you could even be a coach driver (Capt) like son Peter. he instructs as well. Glad you are keeping warm... Loved hearing about your grandchildren. Take care.

Gorges Smythe said...

Thanks, Crystal. You and your family are always in my thoughts and prayers.

Mamahen said...

Glad you got to spend time with the grandkids..i'm sure she was excited! As others have said I miss seeing your personal post but I suspect not as much as you miss having time to and energy to enjoy your usual pursuits. As long as your still hanging in there and that's better than having to wonder ....Have a good week n God Blessings!!

Gorges Smythe said...

Thanks, Mh!