Friday, February 14, 2014

School, Snow, “Wedded Bliss” And An Accurate Weather Forecast

-
Truck driving school hasn’t gone well for ANY of us this week. Most days began late, due to getting balky diesels warmed up, plus getting enough sand thrown on the icy lot to give them traction. One of their trucks is down; I’m not sure why. Another one is down temporarily, until they can get a new belt on the engine, I forget which one. They have three groups of students trying to take turns with one remaining “lot truck” (another was on the road). The other day, they finally got tired of all the spinning and put a better set of drive tires on it. That seemed to help a little. I actually feel bad for the school, too, as the weather has made it impossible to maintain a proper schedule.

One day was called off due to bad lot conditions. Sometimes all it takes is a couple of inches of snow to throw a monkey wrench in things. Due to all things combined, I’d only had two full turns of doing lot maneuvers in four days. After doing my “pre-trip” inspection today, they took mercy on me and jumped me a couple spots up on the list, so I could get my maneuvers done early. That was after explaining to “the boss” that I’d planned to take my wife out for our anniversary tonight, but that with a big snow supposedly on its way, I wanted to cut out early and make it lunch. Surprisingly, he agreed, so I left.

We had a nice lunch at one of our favorite restaurants (one that plays peaceful music) and laughed when we realized that the whole place was filled with old geezers and geezerettes like us. Afterwards, we stopped at a custom chocolate shop, where I got her a small bag of chocolate-covered orange rinds—something that’s becoming somewhat of an anniversary tradition for us. I then took her to one of her favorite craft stores. Later, we ran a couple errands before we headed home. For the hopelessly mismatched folks that we are, we feel that 31 years without a homicide is a miracle of sorts. Now that we’re stocked up on a few things, I guess we’ll see where a weekend of forced togetherness finds us. Wish us luck!


As you know, weathermen are famous for missing predictions by hours or even days. Sometimes, they’re even completely wrong. Today, I was amazed when they predicted snow at 4PM and it came at 3:55. Now that’s CLOSE! © 2014
-

7 comments:

Mamahen said...

Glad you had a ok day :)) I know a bit about mismatched couples but i'm sure if the Lord allows us the time we will be together 31 yrs as well...Now as for the weather.....well lets not talk about it!

Scooney Adrift said...

Congrats on 31 years! Sounds like it was a good celebration. This weather seems to be messing up every ones schedule. Hopefully you will get some road time in soon.

Gorges Smythe said...

Mh, my life is so boring that the weather is about all I HAVE to talk about. Besides, I'm so poor, it's all that I can afford! lol

Thanks, Scooney. And yes on both the other counts. Hope your day was a good one, however you spent it.

Angela said...

This crazy weather pattern has messed up a lot of things lately. My kids still haven't went to school for an entire week since Christmas vacation!

Congratulations on 31 years! I think I would rather go out to lunch than dinner as dinner tonight would probably be very crowded, slow, and loud. I made homemade pizza in the shape of a heart for the kids and calzones for me and my husband for dinner tonight.

Most of our snow melted and it looks like we are going to get rain... Probably will be flooded in in the morning.

Chickenmom said...

Turned out to be quit a day and a nice one at that! Congrats and best wishes for you both on this special day! We will be getting your snow tomorrow...

Gorges Smythe said...

It rained a little after snowing a little this evening here. Now, it's snowing again. Thanks for the congrats, Angela.

Maybe it'll all fall on the ski resorts and you won't have to mess with it, Cm!

Kathy Felsted Usher said...

Happy Anniversary! Glad you got to go out even if it was to the geezer restaurant! LOL. I like being a geezer, it's much easier and more comfortable too.