Monday, March 31, 2014

"Invasive Species" Walking Stick

-
Click image to enlarge.

I've been watching a tree-of-heaven sprout in one of my forsythia bushes for a couple years now. Noting that it was in a life-and-death struggle with some Japanese honeysuckle, I left it to grow to a more usable size. I cut it about dark last night and carved most of the honeysuckle vine off this evening, while the Mighty Dachshund supervised. Neither species is native, though a lot of folks don't realize it. Japanese honeysuckle DOES have the slightly redeeming virtue of being fairly high in protein and making good deer browse. Tree-of-heaven has no redeeming virtue whatsoever that I'm aware of. Not surprisingly, it came here from China.

The stick measures 57" and would make someone a nice walking stick, if they didn't need it for heavy use. I doubt if I could sell it, and if I offered to give it to someone who needed it, I'd be more likely to get someone who'd pretend to need it, who would then include it in craft items to be resold. Oh well, it looks sorta neat leaning against the bathroom door in the photo, and it looks good, too, on the top position on my gun rack (which only holds one gun these days). I guess that's where it will stay for a while. © 2014
-

3 comments:

Sunnybrook Farm said...

Tree of heaven keeps me warm all winter. If you get it large enough it is about like burning maple. I have cut some down that you couldn't get your arms around, it splits real good but kind of has an off smell until it dries. I think a lot of the sub standard furniture that gets shipped here to be sold at quality prices has tree of heaven in it, kind of a yellow wide grain wood.
I wouldn't care if honey suckle became extinct.

Lady Locust said...

When I met Hubby, he had those trees, but referred to them as the tree of someplace much warmer than Heaven:) They are invasive!

Gorges Smythe said...

We sawed some one time, SF, and it made some beautiful wide boards. It's very light when dry, and I've heard that it warps and rots easily.

I've heard it called that, too, LL, also "stink tree" and "skunk tree."