Saturday, March 29, 2014

Problem Solved!

-
I have a large "he-man" black umbrella that is just the right size for a ponderous pedestrian like me. I take it with me often as I take the pooch on her daily constitutional through the changeable spring weather. She's small enough that I can pick her up and carry her and keep her dry under my umbrella. The problem is that I have to fight the urge to use my portable rain roof as a walking stick. It's sturdy enough, mind you, but the plastic tip would soon look beaten and battered if I would give into my natural inclination. So, today, I stopped by the little mom and pop hardware store in town (the only one left) and picked up a half-inch black cane tip. Pushed onto the end of the umbrella, it was a perfect fit and cost only 49 cents. However, the perfect seal of the rubber on the tapered shank, and the resultant pressurized air under the tip, caused the tip to back off about 3/32 of an inch between steps. A tiny cut with my penknife in the end of the tip let the air out and the tip has remained in place thereafter. Now I can stroll down the avenue in style, with my cane-tipped bumbershoot in one hand and my mighty Dachshund in the other. Problem solved! © 2014


-

10 comments:

Vicki said...

Necessity really is the mother of invention! Now you can stroll in style.

Sunnybrook Farm said...

You are truly a WV gent with that umbrella and doggy!

Brian said...

Nice fix ;)

Gorges Smythe said...

And I WILL, Vicki! ;-)

Yes, SF, with my grey T-shirt, worn-out jeans, LL Bean camp mocs (without socks), my big black bumbershoot and my mighty Dachshund, I cut quite a dashing figure!

Works for me, Brian!

Sixbears said...

Try and get something like that at a big box store. No way.

Gorges Smythe said...

That's for sure, Sixbears. And if they DID have them, they'd probably come in 10-packs!

Mamahen said...

Well there ya go.....ready for a jauty stroll :))

Gorges Smythe said...

Yes, Mh, and I SO dress the part! lol

Cathy M. said...

Genius! All you need now is to rig it with a pistol or sword just in case you walk the dog into a... I don't know... something that needs shooting or stabbing.

Gorges Smythe said...

I've already got a carry permit, Cathy, so that might be redundant.