Sunday, March 23, 2014

Sold!

-
After a year or so, we finally got our waterbed sold. I paid about $1800 for it and a couple night stands several years ago. We no longer use that bedroom for anything but storage, though, so there was really no need to keep it. I originally priced the three pieces at $700, but we ended up selling them for far less. The nice young couple who bought it got a heckuva deal, but they were so nice that I didn’t begrudge them the low price. The old saying is that something is only worth what someone else is willing to pay for it.

My wife has decided to sell her clothes steamer that she just HAD to have a few years ago and then rarely used. I’m still trying to sell some once-fired Winchester AA 12 gauge hulls and now have them priced at half their value. I got them when Clinton was in office to have a way to keep hunting if he pushed through a really bad gun control bill. However, someone stole the wads and the black powder I had stored with them and, since I never got much shot purchased, so I decided part with them.

Several things we’ve sold, we’ve practically given away. I sold some small items at the antique store this week and didn’t get what I felt they were worth, but still more than I expected. I’m always reminded of the line in the Bible where it says that without the mark of the beast that we will not be able to buy or sell. In MY neck of the woods, it’s pretty much that way already, without worrying about any mark. Maybe those times are closer than we know.


Our funds were running low again, due to school dragging on as long as it has, so the sale was literally a godsend. If I can pass my CDL test Friday, I hope to be employed again in a couple weeks. That should make life a bit easier. © 2014
-

9 comments:

deborah harvey said...

hi. sounds like your wife is a victim of martha stewart, who was touting steamers a few years ago.
she actually made me think i might ought to have one but better sense prevailed.
praying for you a job.
deb h.

Mamahen said...

Extra prayers for you this week for your upcoming test, and future employment !!!

Gorges Smythe said...

You were a wise lady, dh.

Thanks, Mh, and bless you!

Penny said...

I've been pulling for you all along, Gorges! From selling the bed to passing the test and becoming a BONA FIDE trucker! Prayers, best wishes and anticipatory atta-boys sent your way and in your behalf.

Chickenmom said...

Good that you got rid of things you don't need anymore! And getting some cash makes it even better!

Angela said...

I'll be praying that you pass your test Friday and that you will find a job really soon thereafter! We also have the same saying that things are only worth what someone will pay for it.

Gorges Smythe said...

Thanks, Penny, I appreciate it!

Excellent point, Cm!

I appreciate the prayers, Angela; I've been sending up a few myself.

Cathy M. said...

Praying you'll get the job you want, Gorges! My daughter and I think only one clothes steamer is actually ever sold, and returned, and sold, and returned...

Gorges Smythe said...

Sorry to blow your theory, Cathy, but there must be at least two. My wife is keeping the hand-held model!