Sunday, March 23, 2014

The Guru Sounds Off On Dried Milk

-
Sanalak is so-so.  It is Non Fat and tastes it. The absolutely best, could not be identified as anything but real milk even by discerning and picky kids, was Foremost Milkman which was used in all those college and military cafeteria liquid milk dispensers.  Powder went in, filtered water went in, milk came out with the flavor and healthfulness of regular whole milk from the store.  I used it exclusively in Alaska and bought it by the case.

However, in 1982 Foremost Milkman was sold off and the country lost a quality dry milk ... although it was still made and marketed by the ton overseas where it is still available.

Finally, a couple of years ago, someone started importing it and it is available from Amazon.  It costs about $2 per quart, but keeps for a long time in the sealed 1 quart packets.

Sanalak has gotten better over the years, but I think it is only available in large sized cans that need to be used relatively soon after being opened, only has a two year shelf life, and still tastes not so good. However, PEAK, from Holland, is a WHOLE milk that rivals Foremost MILKMAN.  I tasted it once a few years ago and was not displeased.  I have not purchased dry milk, though, in about 5 years.

I just ordered a can of PEAK to see if the taste is still as good as I remembered.  I noticed there are some other "local-ish dairy" whole dry milks available, but have absolutely no knowledge about them or their taste.  I know Foremost MILKMAN was a whole milk when we were purchasing it, and it mixed VERY easily.

Will let you know about the PEAK ... it will be an outstanding coffee creamer at the very least!
-


5 comments:

Tewshooz said...

Yep, we used to buy Foremost Milkman and the kids loved it. Never realized it was gone off the shelves until you mentioned it. After I learned how dried milk was made, I wouldn't drink it anymore.

Gorges Smythe said...

There are probably a lot of foods we'd feel similar about if we only knew, Tewshooz.

JaneofVirginia said...

We don't drink a lot of milk here, and so I am afraid I don't have such a broad knowledge base. How does the Augason Farms dried milk stack up with others ? This is what I have for emergencies. Thank you !

Angela said...

I have a few packets of Carnation dried milk. We did use it a few months ago when we ran out of milk to make biscuits. They really did make the biscuits taste pretty good. I don't drink milk so I didn't drink it to taste it. I think my son had some with cereal. He didn't complain but he doesn't have the palate that I have! lol

Gorges Smythe said...

Does anyone have an answer for Jane?

Is he like Joey on the cereal commercial, Angela?