Friday, March 28, 2014

There Is No Joy In Mudville,…

-
…the would-be trucker has struck out! Yes folks, I blew it. Senior moments kept hitting at all the wrong times and I couldn’t recall things that I knew so well that I was sick of them. Hours of reading and re-reading the list of things to check on a pretrip were spent to no avail. Pages and pages of hand-written lists were likewise. My mornings spent standing in near-zero degree weather, wind howling and list in hand, forcing myself to look at truck parts that I’d looked at dozens of times before, seemed utterly wasted. All the knowledge in the world can be useless, if you can’t remember things when you need them.

I was never the type to get test-panic in school. I felt pretty laid-back this morning. The guy who gave the test was very nice and tried to give me plenty of time to recall things and even made it obvious when there was more that I needed to mention, but I’ve always been the type whose memory can’t be forced; it’s either there or it’s not. This morning it was not. The only thing that I can figure is that somewhere deep down inside of this old geezer, is a thirteen-year-old kid who chokes on tests. Some of you will remember that I had to take part of my “written” test a second time to get my CDL learner’s permit. Or maybe the Lord’s just trying to keep me humble.

Oh well, I have no choice but to keep going. As my time without a job keeps stretching out (14 months and counting), things keep getting tougher, but the Lord will provide. He put $50 in my pocket yesterday; perhaps, he’ll do it again soon. One thing’s for sure, the guy is going to see my face again next week! © 2014


P.S. For those too young to know the story about Mudville, you can learn about it at this link: http://www.baseball-almanac.com/poetry/po_case.shtml
-

19 comments:

Gorges Smythe said...

I pray that the Lord will bless each one of you who prayed for me or wished me well.

Mamahen said...

It seems the day for bad news.....continued prayers for God to guide your footsteps !

Vicki said...

Gorges, this is for your eyes and need not be published.

Dear Lord, If it is Your will that Gorges follows the path he is on for employment, please give him what he needs to pass his test. If not, then please guide him wherever You would want him to go. In Jesus name, Amen

Mamma Bear said...

GS...Papa Bear is one of the smartest men I know and he freezes on test. It is so frustrating for him and my heart aches for him because I know he knows the material frontwards and backwards.

The only thing I can say is I will pray harder for you. The Lord may be saving you from a horrific road accident...we just don't know but when the time is right the Lord will open that door for you.

Sunnybrook Farm said...

I have been there even when much younger, I know how you feel. It is a strange thing how the mind works or doesn't some times. But you know you can drive a truck so look for other options and keep trying.

Gorges Smythe said...

Thanks, and prayers for your brother, too, Mh.

Thanks, Vicki, I appreciate the prayer. I hope you don't mind that I went ahead and posted it, if you do let me know.

I have to assume that you're right, MB; thanks.

Chickenmom said...

There was a reason for it this time Gorges. Next week will be better. I know it.

Cathy M. said...

I'm disappointed for you, Gorges. Will you get a second chance? I'll keep you on my prayer list. You're so funny, smart and clever, surely if you get another shot, you can overcome the "brain-freeze."

Vicki said...

Gorges...I don't mind a bit. It was your call. Continuing to keep you in my prayers, my friend.

M. Silvius said...

Sorry to hear. It sucks, but you must keep going forwards. Just one foot after an other. Slow steps if that's all you can take. Take a breather, and a good sleep and in the morning tackle it again. It is only another lesson along the road. Hang in there. Just think about the parts you messed up on and how to correct the mistakes. I know you can do it.

Gorges Smythe said...

I suspect you're right, Cm.

Thanks again, Vicki.

Michael, the aggravating thing is that I KNOW that stuff! Even the guy giving the test said he could tell that I knew the material from the way I knew the rest, but I overlooked one item too many, when I tried to recite them.

M. Silvius said...

Gorges: Same thing happened to me 30 yrs ago the first time I went for my private pilot check ride. When I messed up I knew it. When we were done, the examiner, an old timer asked me how I thought I'd done. I told him the three flubs I made and I said I'd flunk me if I was him. He told me he was sure I knew what I was doing, I just had to be able to do it on demand. Came back 3 weeks later and passed. I am sure you are in exactly the same situation. You will make it. Keep at it. We are cheering for you.

Gorges Smythe said...

Thanks, Michael, I'll give it another shot the first chance I get.

Mamahen said...

Ty for your prayers!

Lady Locust said...

I don't have any wise words, but wanted to let you know I'm with the lot and all each of the above has said. I will continue to pray both for better test results and for prosperity.
Blessings.

Ralph Goff said...

I doubt I could pass the test now Gorges. I recall the disappointment I felt when I failed my first attempt at drivers license over 40 years ago now. No driver training in those days. Just study the book and take the driving test with the officer in the passenger seat. Second try I got it. Hopefully you will too.

Gorges Smythe said...

Anytime, Mh, absolutely aanytime.

Thanks, LL, I appreciate that.

I think I will, Ralph. Then if I don't blow the rest of it! ;-)

Kathy Felsted Usher said...

I'm sorry. Try again and see what happens.

Gorges Smythe said...

I believe I'll pass it next time, Kathy. If NOT, there's always the priesthood! (They DO take Baptists, don't they?)