Tuesday, April 29, 2014

A Darn Good Movie

-
 My wife and I haven't been regular theater-goers for years, due to the dearth of movies worth seeing these days. That makes her collection of old movies rather valuable to us, even though I'm sure her son's and our grandkid's generations would find them otherwise. Since there wasn't anything worth watching on the tube tonight either, she put an old VHS tape in the player while I was in my office next-door. I knew the theme music sounded familiar, but I tried to ignore it, as it was already 9 o'clock, and I hate to start watching a movie that late.

It turned out to be "How The West Was Won," starring more excellent old-time actors and actresses than I care to mention. Being more-or-less of the western genre, I soon found myself watching it with her. Anything involving history, horses and guns will always manage to catch my attention. I first saw that movie with my parents, when it was released in 1962. I saw it again when my wife bought the tape many years ago, so this was my third time around. I miss the old actors and actresses. I don't know if they were that much better, or I just think they were, since they were a part of my childhood. I know that very few of them would play in the trash that passes for entertainment these days.

There was some good music in the movie, plus, some songs from our nation's past that you don't hear anymore. I feel blessed to have gone to school when music was still taught and many of those songs taught were from various eras of our country's history. How long has it been since you heard someone sing “Oh, Susanna,” “Fifteen Years on the Erie Canal,” or “Oh, My Darling Clementine?” Or what about “John Henry,” Blue-Tail Fly,” “Oh, Shenandoah,” or “I’ve Been Working on the Railroad?” Those are songs with a bit history that TEACH a bit of history; they’re songs sung by some of our ancestors. Some would be considered “inappropriate” by our-oh-so-politically-correct dregs of modern society, but they were a product of the times, both good and bad, and should be accepted as such. Like many other aspects of history, I fear we are losing our musical heritage.


To get back on-subject, the movie ended about midnight, so that wasn’t too unbearably long for this old geezer. It helped that they included the intermission, complete with music—no joke! It was an evening well spent. It was a good movie that touched on a lot of history and brought back a lot of memories of my own younger days. Like Martha Stewart used to say, “That’s a GOOD thing!” © 2014
-

6 comments:

Kathy Felsted Usher said...

I love those old songs. I was a bad traveler when I was a child- car sickness- so mom and dad did everything to keep my mind focused on anything but being sick. We used to sing these old tunes. Then when I got my dulcimer, these were the songs that fit the best, absolutely love them. Then again, I loved Sing Along with Mitch!

Gorges Smythe said...

So did I, Kathy. And my wife and I still watch old shows of Lawrence Welk.

Mamahen said...

I remember these oldies (and the movie)....also Sing Along With Mitch. I watch Lawerence Welk now n then (hubby isn't a fan) but I love the music of that era.

Chickenmom said...

Last time we went to the movies was to take our grandson to see a cartoon. That was probably 14 or 15 years ago!I like to watch the old musicals and westerns on Hulu.Lee Marvin was one of my favorites. Remember 'M Squad'?

Bob Mc said...

Exactly why I'm glad that I don't have TV here. I do have a TV set, but the only thing it is connected to is a DVD player. With a subscription to Netflix (at a fraction of the price it would cost me to get TV reception) I can watch all the old movies I want.

Gorges Smythe said...

Yeah, Mh, I watched Mitch as a kid and still watch Welk reruns.

I remember it, Cm, but I rarely watched it. There must have something else on that we watched.

Bob, I wouldn't have cable if it wasn't for my wife, and my wife wouldn't have internet ifnit wasn't for me.