Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Donald Sterling And The Right To Be Wrong

-
I don't watch ANY kind of organized “professional” sports. I honestly don't know why any adult would. PLAYING games for fun is one thing; watching someone ELSE play is a different story (unless your kid is on a team). Still, to each his own. What I REALLY can't figure out, though, is why it's anyone's business what the owner of a team, like Donald Sterling, says in private OR EVEN IN PUBLIC! We should ALL have the right to say what we think, regardless of whether it will offend some folks or not, as long as the language isn't horribly profane. Before someone jumps me about being against profanity, remember that profanity is not an idea. It's a method of supposedly expressing an idea, perhaps, but not an idea in its own right.

Moving on, let's remember that the guy OWNS the team that they want to ban him from managing. It's said the NBA is trying to force a sale. Do you know what I'd rather see him do? I'd rather see him simply shut the team down, lock, stock and barrel. If he's banned, no more playing for his team in the NBA, either! Give all the players and other staff their pink slips and wish them well. Why should the NBA make money on his team if he's not part of the deal? NOWHERE in the Constitution is any “right not to be offended” mentioned or insinuated. If the NBA is so offended by Sterling’s presence, then he should make sure they don’t have to put up with anything he that has bought, built or organized.

One great thing about America is that we have always had the right to be wrong (Yes, I know it’s not worded that way, but the right exists within the spelling out of our other rights). When we lose the right to be wrong, then we have absolutely no others to fall back on. © 2014
-

7 comments:

Vicki said...

Amen. You may think I am a total idiot. You may say, anywhere and at any time, that you think I am a total idiot. I may be offended that you think I am a total idiot. BUT I will defend your right to say that you think I am a total idiot, whether I like it or not. It's called free speech.

Gorges Smythe said...

lol - I get what you're saying, Vicki, but I actually think you're a pretty smart lady (as opposed to an idiot).

Sunnybrook Farm said...

This country will have to collapse to fix the political correct thought police mentality.

Harry Flashman said...

Wasn't it Voltaire who said " I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend with my life your right to say it." I don't know, can't remember now.

Political correctness is a curse. There's one of those motivator things with a scene from a famous Twilight Zone episode, where the little boy wishes everybody he doesn't like into the cornfield. It shows him pointing his finger at his victim, and the caption is "political correctness. Wishing common sense into the cornfield."

Gorges Smythe said...

I'm afraid you're right, SF.

I think you're right on the quote, HF. I guess I never saw that episode of the twilight Zone.

Kathy Felsted Usher said...

It's like the Paula Deen thing, I would say let the consumer determine if they want him around. They won't buy tickets if they are that offended and if they really don't care what his personal views are they will continue to attend games. I really don't care what his personal opinions are.

Gorges Smythe said...

I couldn't agree more, Kathy.